Gobi 65 is a vegetarian version of chicken 65. It is a vegan and nut free dish perfect as an evening snack or an after-school snack for kids. This is a healthy twist to deep fried version and is made in an air fryer with a fraction of oil.
Gobi 65 is an Indian-inspired cauliflower dish prepared with cauliflower florets, flour and a mixture of warming spices. It is the popular vegetarian starter in most south Indian restaurants.
This air-fried cauliflower snack is also called cauliflower 65. It is the healthier version of a deep-fried cauliflower dish made with a fraction of oil. Next time you plan cauliflower recipes try this air fryer version, I bet this is going to be a new favourite dish for your family members and you never go back to deep frying.
Cauliflower is one such versatile vegetable that comes in handy to make a simple side dish aloo gobi or delicious restaurant-style gobi starters such as honey garlic cauliflower, orange cauliflower and gobi manchurian.
There are two versions of 65 - dry and semi-dry. While the dried version is just deep frying the battered cauliflower in hot oil, the semi-dry version involves the second step where fried cauliflower florets are tossed in cumin seeds, curry leaves and creamy yogurt-based sauce. Aloo 65 on the blog is a semi-dry version.
- Cauliflower: Fresh cauliflower, fresh homemade ginger garlic paste.
- Dry Spices: Kashmiri chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder,
- Flour: Plain flour (all-purpose flour) and corn flour (corn starch).
- Liquids: Water to make a batter and oil. I have used olive oil but feel free to use any cooking oil that you have on hand.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make cauliflower 65?
Cut the cauliflower head into small florets.
Place cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl.
Add hot water to the bowl of cauliflower florets, close it with a lid/plate and leave it for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, drain the water and leave cauliflower in the strainer for 5 minutes to remove excess water.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine plain flour, corn flour, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, lemon juice and oil.
Add water gradually and make a batter.
Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
Dip cauliflower florets in the batter and coat them.
Place the battered cauliflower in the air basket with little spacing between them. Spray oil or apply a little oil to battered cauliflower.
Put the basket back and set the timer to 10 minutes at 190 C (375 F).
Take the basket out halfway through cooking and flip the florets.
Once the timer goes off remove the basket and remove the crispy gobi onto a plate.
Enjoy crispy cauliflower dish gobi 65 as a starter or as a snack.
Variation and Substitutions
Spices: Don't have garam masala, just use any curry powder that you have on hand. You can even use coriander powder and cumin powder instead. Don't have either of them? Use only turmeric and chilli powder, gobi 65 still tastes good.
Curry Leaves: Fresh curry leaves could be used instead of dried. I had to use dried leaves that I always stock as a backup as I run out of fresh leaves.
Gluten Free: For the gluten-free version, use rice flour instead of plain flour.
Cooking Oil: I have used olive oil, but feel free to use whatever cooking oil you have on hand - vegetable oil, sunflower oil or peanut oil.
Ginger Garlic: You could use freshly grated ginger and minced garlic instead of ginger garlic paste.
Tips and Tricks to get perfect cauliflower 65
Excess moisture: Ensure water is completely drained from the cauliflower pieces. If you are unsure just spread blanched cauliflower florets on a baking sheet to air dry to remove excess moisture.
Consistency: The batter should be neither too thick nor too thin, it should be of a medium-thick consistency so that it coats the cauliflower florets well. Adjust the consistency of the batter by adding more flour if it’s too thin and more water if it’s too thick.
Use parchment paper: Lining the air fryer basket with parchment paper helps to reduce the cleaning as the battered cauliflower tends to stick to the base of the basket.
Spices: Taste test the batter and add more spice powder or salt if required. Adjust the spices to your taste preference.
Oil: If the battered cauliflower florets looks dry, apply oil or use spray oil and continue cooking.
How to store air fryer cauliflower?
Fridge: This cauliflower fry tastes best when fresh. But it stays good for 2-3 days if stored properly in an airtight container in the fridge.
Reheat: Put them in the air fryer basket and reheat for 3-4 minutes or until they crisp up.
More Air Fryer Recipes
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this delicious air fryer cauliflower recipe. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Gobi 65 (Cauliflower 65)
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 315 gms Cauliflower florets
- 52 gms Plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 14 gms Corn flour (corn starch)
- ¼ Teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- Salt as required
- ½ Teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder adjust to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garam masala powder adjust to taste
- 6-8 Curry leaves
- Lemon juice from ½ lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 120ml Water adjust to get right consistency
- 6 cups Hot Water
- Cut the cauliflower head into small florets.315 gms Cauliflower florets
- Place cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl.
- Add hot water to the bowl of cauliflower florets, close it with a lid/plate and leave it for 10 minutes.6 cups Hot Water
- After 10 minutes, drain the water and leave cauliflower in the strainer for 5 minutes to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine plain flour, corn flour, red chili powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and oil.52 gms Plain flour (all purpose flour), 14 gms Corn flour (corn starch), ¼ Teaspoon Ginger garlic paste , Salt, ½ Teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder , ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric powder , ½ Teaspoon Garam masala powder , 6-8 Curry leaves , 1 Teaspoon Oil, 120ml Water
- Add water gradually and make a batter. Add lemon juice and mix well.Lemon juice
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Dip cauliflower florets in the batter and coat them.
- Place the battered cauliflower in the air basket with little spacing between them. Spray oil or apply a little oil to battered cauliflower.
- Put the basket back and set the timer to 10 minutes at 190 C (375 F).
- Take the basket out halfway through cooking and flip the florets.
- Once the timer goes off remove the basket and remove the crispy gobi onto a plate.
Looking for other cauliflower recipes? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes/drinks to serve with cauliflower 65:
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more