Carrot Rice – tasty and flavourful rice made with carrot, nuts and few spices. This gluten-free carrot rice recipe is very easy for kids to make with little assistance from adults and it gets ready in under 30 minutes.
This delicious carrot rice gets beautiful colour from carrot and it’s a great way to make kids eat healthy meals. Simple rice with carrots makes an ideal option for a lunchbox or midweek dinner. The mild earthy flavour of cumin, nutty aroma from peanuts and sesame seeds, a touch of sweetness from carrot is sure to entice the kids and I bet even the picky kids would finish off their plate without any fuss.
As always, you will find the full ingredients list with measurements and detailed recipe instructions in a separate recipe box underneath the text section. To bypass the text section choose “SCROLL TO RECIPE” or “PRINT RECIPE” or click the “SCROLL TO VIDEO” option to watch the full video of this recipe. All options are located at the beginning of the post.
Carrot Rice Recipe Variations:
I’ve used minimal ingredients to keep it simple. Feel free to stir in onion, garlic.
For the vegan version, substitute butter with oil.
Cashews add a nice crunch to the rice. Fry handful broken cashews in butter along with cumin.
Mix in half a teaspoon of soy sauce and handful chopped spring onions just before you toss rice to mimic the fried rice flavours. Serve this carrot fried rice with honey garlic cauliflower.
Dash of lime juice enhances the flavour and adds a little zing.
How to serve carrot rice for kids?
Carrot rice goes well with yogurt, raita and papad.
This simple rice with carrots paired with sides such as Jeera Aloo, Chickpea Veggie Patties and glass of fresh fruit juice or mango lassi makes a good meal. Ensure to cook jeera aloo mild if your kid is young.
Watch how to make carrot rice
If you enjoy watching my videos, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon, so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Nuts & Seeds: peanuts and white sesame seeds are used to infuse lovely nutty flavour. We have used peanuts with the skin on but feel free to use blanched peanuts.
Vegetables: Only carrot, coriander are used to keep recipe simple. Carrot can be used either finely chopped or grated.
Spices & Seasoning: Cumin and chana dal to impart fabulous earthy and nutty flavours and aroma. Green chilli to give a touch of spiciness. You can either substitute it with crushed black pepper or use deseeded green chilli to reduce the spice levels.
Butter: Unsalted butter has been used here. For vegan version replace it with any cooking oil.
1. Dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds until aromatic and let them cool down completely.
2. Grind them to a coarse powder in a spice blender or a small mixer jar.
3 & 4. Saute cumin, chana dal and green chilli in butter for few seconds.
5. Cook carrots for 10 minutes until tender.
6. Add cooked rice, coriander, peanut-sesame powder and mix until well combined.
Serve super tasty carrot rice as is or with any simple side dish.
Adjust spices and seasoning to suit your child’s taste.
You may swap in ground black pepper for green chillies.
Add just half of the peanut-sesame powder if your child doesn’t like too much nutty flavour. Store remaining powder in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can use this powder in stir-fries and curries such as Capsicum Masala, Kohlrabi Curry, Drumstick Leaves Curry.
We have used basmati rice but feel free to use any rice that you have in hand.
You can use either grated or chopped carrots but ensure they are chopped finely to fasten cooking process.
More Simple Recipe Ideas for Kids to Cook
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tbsp = 15ml ; 1 tsp = 5ml
- 3 tbsp (38 gms) Peanuts
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1.5 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chana Dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 3/4 cup (108 gms) Carrot finely chopped
- as required Salt
- 2 cups (357 gms) Cooked rice
- handful Coriander
- Before you get started, scroll up a little and watch a quick recipe video.
- Check the notes at the bottom of the recipe for extra info and help.
- Toast peanuts in a small pan over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes or until they release nutty aroma and turn dark colour. Keep stirring regularly.
- Now add sesame seeds and toast for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool down completely.
- Transfer them to a spice blender and pulse 2-3 times or until you get coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Add butter to a skillet or pan. Let it melt over medium-low heat.
- Now add cumin and saute for few seconds until it splutters.
- Add chana dal and saute for a minute until it release nutty aroma and starts to turn golden.
- Stir in green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Now add carrots, salt and mix well. Increase the heat slightly and cook for 8-10 minutes or until carrots start to soften, sauteeing frequently.
- Add cooked rice, coriander, peanut-sesame seeds powder and toss until rice is well combined with carrots and spices.
- Serve delicious and flavourful carrot rice as is or with any side dish.
More Kid-Friendly Recipes:
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this delicious rice with carrots. I love to get feedback from readers.