Incredibly delicious and addictive crispy baked potato wedges are easy to prepare with only a few ingredients. These vegan and gluten-free homemade wedges have crispy outer and soft tender inner layers that make them irresistible.
These homemade potato wedges are a good alternative to deep-fried French fries. They are great as a healthy snack, a side dish with the main meal, or an after-school snack. The spiced potato wedges are a perfect side dish to prepare with a few ingredients just like my crispy roasted baby potatoes, roasted turnips, garlic herb roasted root vegetables and pair well with pretty much anything.
- Potato: I peel the skin off the potatoes and cut them into wedges. Feel free to leave the skin on.
- Paprika: It is less spicy compared to chilli powder or cayenne pepper, however, it imparts a lovely bright colour to wedges.
- Ground Cumin: It imparts amazing earthy flavour and aroma.
- Oregano: I had oregano in hand when I made this recipe so I used it. You can use any dried herb that you have in hand.
- Olive oil: I always use olive oil to roast vegetables for its lovely aroma and flavour. Feel free to use any cooking oil that has high smoking point.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Peel and cut potatoes into wedges and soak them in water for15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200 C. Remove potatoes from water and place them in a large bowl.
Pour the oil over and mix the potatoes well to spread the oil evenly.
Now, add cumin, salt, paprika, cumin, oregano and mix well until the potatoes are well coated.
Transfer the potatoes to a tray and arrange them with adequate space between them.
Put the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, take the tray out of the oven. Flip the wedges and put the tray back in the oven and continue cooking for a further 20 - 30 mins or until potatoes turn brown and crispy.
Enjoy delicious oven baked potato wedges on their own or with any dip of your choice.
A twig of fresh rosemary or thyme imparts a lovely flavour. Roast it with the potatoes and remove it when you take the tray out of the oven.
Chilli powder or cayenne pepper adds an extra kick for spice lovers.
Garlic adds an extra flavour and taste. If you use fresh garlic, mix it in with oil and pour it onto the wedges halfway through cooking. Adding it at the beginning of baking would result in charring. Garlic powder must be mixed along with other spices at the beginning.
Freshly chopped parsley adds a lovely flavour. Sprinkle it onto the piping hot-baked wedges just before you serve.
Baked potato wedges and flatbread pizza make a filling weekday dinner.
Tips and Tricks
Soak the cut potatoes in water for at least 15 minutes to remove the starch. This also helps to ensure that the potatoes do not stick to the baking sheet while cooking.
Roast at high temperatures to ensure that the potatoes turn brown and crispy.
Do not overfill the tray with potato wedges, rather spread them into a single layer. Divide them into two trays if required.
Spread the potatoes with enough spacing between them to allow them to cook properly. Too many potatoes in the tray would result in steaming rather than roasting and prevent them from being crispy all over.
Take the baking tray out of the oven halfway through the cooking process., flip the potatoes over and put the tray back in the oven and continue cooking until done. This ensures even roasting and browning on all sides.
Consider using any type of cooking oil that has a high smoking point as potatoes are roasted at high temperatures.
A little extra oil would help to roast the potatoes well with even browning, however, ensure not to add so much oil that the potatoes are drowned in it.
Crispy baked potato wedges
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 468 gms (or) 5 medium Potatoes peeled, washed and cut into wedges
- 3 Tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon Paprika
- Salt as required
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- Peel and cut potatoes into wedges and soak them in water for15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Remove potatoes from water and place them in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil over and mix the potatoes well to spread the oil evenly.
- Now, add cumin, salt, paprika, cumin, oregano and mix well until the potatoes are well coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a tray and arrange them with adequate space between them.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the tray out of the oven. Flip the wedges and put the tray back in the oven and continue cooking for a further 20 mins or until potatoes turn brown and crispy.
- Enjoy delicious homemade baked potato wedges on their own or with any dip of your choice.
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this delicious crispy baked potato wedges. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.