Air fryer baby potatoes - a delicious side dish that's easy to cook and goes well with most main meals. It is an incredibly easy dish to prepare with a handful of ingredients in less than 30 minutes. This is a vegan, gluten-free and nut-free recipe.
Baby potatoes seasoned with herbs, olive oil and spices, and perfectly roasted until the outer is crispy and the inner is soft and fork tender.
The best part about air fried roasted potatoes is that it takes less time than the oven and a lot less oil, but you still get perfectly crispy potatoes. Any variety of baby potatoes can be used - fingerling, new potatoes or baby red potatoes.
This is such a versatile recipe that you don't even need to peel or dice when short of time. Just season the whole potatoes and cook. It is customisable with endless flavour options and is one of the easiest potato recipes to feed the crowd.
Looking for more baby potato recipe ideas? Then check out Bombay aloo and rosemary roasted baby potatoes on the blog.
Why will you love air fryer baby potatoes?
Energy and time efficient
Convenient to cook a small batch
- Potatoes: Any baby potatoes will work in this recipe. I have used new potatoes.
- Seasoning: Dried thyme, parsley, chilli powder (cayenne pepper), salt and garlic granules.
- Oil: I have used olive oil as it imparts a lovely flavour and aroma.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to air fry baby potatoes?
Wash and cut each potato in half.
Soak raw potatoes in cold water for 15 - 20 minutes.
After 15 minutes, remove the baby potatoes from the water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
In a large bowl, add the oil, salt, cayenne pepper, parsley, thyme and garlic granules. Mix well until the seasoning is well combined with the oil.
Add potatoes and mix well until they are well coated with oil and seasoning.
Spray or apply oil to the air fryer basket.
Spread the seasoned potatoes in an air fryer basket in a single layer with the cut side facing down.
Put the basket into the air fryer, set the temperature to 200C (400 F) for 10 mins.
Take the basket out after the air fryer beeps. shake the basket, put it back in the air fryer and roast for another 10 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, switch the air fryer off and take the basket out.
Enjoy delicious air fryer baby potatoes as a snack or as a side dish with any main meal.
Variations and Substitutions
Garlic: Garlic granules could be substituted with garlic powder or fresh garlic. However, I wouldn't suggest adding the fresh garlic at the beginning along with seasoning rather add it halfway through cooking. Adding fresh garlic at the beginning might result in it getting burnt.
Spices: A spoonful of garam masala and a dash of lemon juice adds a fabulous Indian flavour.
Spicy kick: Red chilli powder could be replaced with crushed black pepper.
Seasoning: Mixed Italian seasoning or cajun seasoning could be used instead of dried parsley and thyme.
Fresh Herbs: Switch the flavours by using fresh rosemary, mint or dill.
Air fryer potatoes are a guilt-free snack to munch on with mayo, tomato ketchup, yogurt herb dipping sauce or honey mustard sauce.
It makes a great side dish to pair with stuffed zucchini boats for a simple weeknight dinner.
Serve it as a side dish with zucchini mushroom pasta, rasta pasta or vegetable quesadilla.
It's a great after-school snack along with a glass of strawberry banana milkshake or mango lemonade.
Roast potatoes are a great accompaniment with vegetable soup and carrot lentil soup.
Fridge: Leftover air fryer roasted baby potatoes could be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. However, they won't be as crispy and tasty as freshly made. But they are consumable.
Reheat in the air fryer for 4-5 mins to crisp up.
For proper roasting spread mini potatoes into a single layer in the basket. Do not overfill the basket. If necessary, roast these in batches.
It is essential to cut the potatoes into equal sizes for uniform roasting. So choose small potatoes and cut each into two. If the potatoes are a little bigger cut them into three equal pieces.
Ensure to take the basket out and shake well halfway through roasting to make sure all sides are well roasted.
The air frying time might vary depending on the size of the potatoes.
Soak the cut potatoes in a bowl of cold water for at least 15 minutes to remove the extra starch. This helps potatoes to crisp up.
Before seasoning, ensure to pat dry the potatoes to remove the moisture.
You can use whole baby potatoes if you like it that way. However, the roasting time will vary significantly and you will have to cook a bit longer.
New potatoes have tender skin and it's not really necessary to peel it. However, it's a personal choice, so peel off the skin and use them if that's how you like your potatoes.
Leftover roast potatoes could be repurposed in various innovative ways, a few ideas are:
1. Use it up as a filling in vegetable wraps along with other vegetables.
2. Cut them into small pieces and use them in a mini vegetable frittata recipe.
3. Use it up in a quesadilla or mash it and use it as a stuffing in paratha.
These are the same variety as regular potatoes but are harvested earlier even before they are fully grown. The young potatoes have thinner skin and are less starchy than the normal potatoes.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make these crispy air fryer baby potatoes. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 8 (or) 450 gms Baby Potatoes washed and each cut into half
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- Salt as required
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder/Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- Water to soak diced potatoes
- Wash and cut each potato in half.8 (or) 450 gms Baby Potatoes
- Soak raw potatoes in cold water for 15 - 20 minutes.Water
- After 15 minutes, remove the baby potatoes from the water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a large bowl, add the oil, salt, cayenne pepper, parsley, thyme and garlic granules. Mix well until the seasoning is well combined with the oil.2 Teaspoons Olive Oil, Salt, 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder/Cayenne Pepper, 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme, 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- Add potatoes and mix well until they are well coated with oil and seasoning.
- Spray or apply oil to the air fryer basket.
- Spread the seasoned potatoes in an air fryer basket in a single layer with the cut side facing down.
- Put the basket into the air fryer, set the temperature to 200C (400 F) for 10 mins.
- Take the basket out after the air fryer beeps. shake the basket, put it back in the air fryer and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, switch the air fryer off and take the basket out.
- Enjoy delicious air fryer baby potatoes as a snack or as a side dish with any main meal.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try these:
More potato recipes
Try these potato recipes from the blog:
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly healthy and fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more
Leave a Reply