Date Snickers - decadent bite-size sweet treat made with just 4 ingredients. A spin on the popular snicker bars but healthier and individual-size treats.
Looking to introduce kids to kitchen activities? Then you are at the right place. This is not only a fun treat to make with kids but an ideal way to encourage them to eat healthy food. Kids would love stuffing and coating dates with chocolate.
Having a batch of these little sweet treats comes handy to satisfy those cravings at unusual times. It's a great snack to pack in kid's snack box or to serve as an after-school snack along with a cup of hot chocolate, a glass of plain milk or turmeric milk. These vegan snicker dates keep kids full until the next meal, so they don’t get to munch on junk food or processed snacks.
The chilled chocolate coating, crunchy peanuts and chewy dates mimic the texture and flavour of snickers candy but have lower calories, no refined sugar, artificial sweetener or preservatives. Perhaps that could be the reason date snickers has gone viral in tik tok and has been trending since the beginning of 2023 as a new year resolution!
We made these chocolate dates with basic pantry staples and dates, with a few minutes prep time. Nutrient-dense dates are one such versatile ingredient that not only is a natural sweetener but acts as a fabulous binder in coconut date balls, date bars, homemade energy bars and chocolate date balls.
Why you will love date snickers
Made with just 4 ingredients
No cooking or baking involved
Fun and easy recipe to make with kids
- Dates: Soft dates such as Medjool has to be used in this recipe.
- Peanut Butter: We prefer smooth and runny natural peanut butter without any oil or salt.
- Peanuts: Lightly toasted and crushed peanuts add a nutty aroma and flavour.
- Chocolate bar: We have used dark chocolate bars but you can use any cooking chocolate.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make snickers stuffed dates?
Slit the dates with a knife lengthwise and remove the pits.
Skip this step if using pitted/seedless dates.
Fill dates with peanut butter with a small spoon.
Add chopped peanuts on top of the peanut butter filling and close the dates.
Place the stuffed dates on a plate.
Break dark chocolate into chunks and place them in a microwave-safe bowl.
Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 1 minute at high with 20-second intervals.
Stir the chocolate in between with a spoon at every 20-second interval.
Now dunk the snickers stuffed dates in the melted chocolate sauce and roll with a spoon to coat all sides well.
Place chocolate covered dates on a lined baking sheet.
Coat all the stuffed dates with chocolate sauce and place them on a baking sheet with sufficient spacing between them so that they don’t touch each other and end up sticking.
Now sprinkle crushed peanuts on chocolate coated dates.
Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 15 - 30 minutes or until chocolate coating hardens and sets.
Easy peasy and healthy snickers dates are ready to enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
Nuts: Substitute peanuts with any nuts of your choice: cashews, almonds, walnuts or pecans.
Chocolate: I’ve used dark chocolate but you could use milk chocolate bars or even chocolate chips.
Peanut butter: any nut or seed butter could be used instead of peanut butter. We have used smooth but feel free to use crunchy ones to get the extra crunch.
Date caramel: Peanut butter could be replaced by date caramel for extra indulgence.
Fridge: This stuffed dates dessert can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Freezer: These bite-size treats could be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Tips and Tricks
Soft dates such as Medjool dates taste best.
Do not allow child to handle sharp knife, use only plastic knives designed for kids. Otherwise, adults have to pit the dates and let a child do the filling and coating.
If you feel the melted chocolate is thick, then add 1 teaspoon coconut oil and stir well.
The time required to melt chocolate in the microwave might vary depending on the type and settings of the microwave.
Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Place a pot with 1 inch of water on the stovetop and bring it to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and place the bowl with chocolate on top. Keep stirring until the chocolate melts and turns smooth.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this decadent date snickers. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
4 Ingredient snicker stuffed dates
- Slit the dates with a knife lengthwise and remove the pits. Skip this step if using pitted/seedless dates.14 Dates
- Fill dates with peanut butter with a small spoon.1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
- Add chopped peanuts on top of peanut butter filling and close the dates.1 Tablespoon Peanuts
- Place the stuffed dates on a plate.
- Break dark chocolate into chunks and place them in a microwave-safe bowl.100 gms Dark Chocolate
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 1 minute at high with 20-second intervals.
- Stir the chocolate in between with a spoon at every 20-second interval.
- Now put the snickers stuffed dates in the melted chocolate sauce and roll with a spoon to coat all sides well.
- Place chocolate covered dates on a lined baking sheet.
- Coat all the stuffed dates with chocolate sauce and place them on a baking sheet with sufficient spacing between them so that they don’t touch each other and end up sticking.
- Now sprinkle crushed peanuts on chocolate coated dates.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 15-30 minutes or until chocolate coating hardens and sets.
- Easy peasy and healthy snickers dates are ready to enjoy!
Looking for other recipes with dates? Try these:
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more