Homemade hot chocolate is a delicious hot drink to indulge on freezing cold days. It is one of the simple and easy recipes to make at home with minimal ingredients.
Decadent hot chocolate is made with just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 10 minutes. Classic hot chocolate is the ultimate drink that everyone would love during cold months. Cocoa powder is one such amazing ingredient to have in pantry to make something tasty in no time such as chocolate fruit dip, chocolate date balls
to satisfy those chocolate cravings.
Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder is used in this recipe.
Brown sugar: I use brown sugar to make this hot cocoa drink a bit healthier. Feel free to use any sweetener of your choice.
Milk: Whole milk (full-fat milk) is used to get a rich and creamy texture. Feel free to use any plant-based milk.
Corn flour/corn starch: It is used to slightly thicken the chocolate drink.
Dark chocolate chips (optional): I use dark chocolate chips for an extra chocolate flavour.
Cream: whipped cream to top up the hot chocolate. Feel free to use any toppings of your choice or enjoy hot chocolate without any toppings.
See the recipe card for quantities.
1. Sieve cocoa powder and cornflour in a saucepan.
2,3,4. Add ⅓ cup milk and whisk until the ingredients are well combined and get a paste consistency.
Hint: Add a little more milk if required. But ensure not to add too much milk to prevent lumps forming.
5. Now, add the remaining milk and whisk until well combined.
6. Stir in brown sugar and chopped dark chocolate.
7. Put the saucepan on the stove and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat. Keep stirring regularly to prevent hot chocolate from burning and sticking to the base of the saucepan.
Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until chocolate melts completely and it slightly thickens.
8. Pour delicious homemade chocolate drink into a mug, top it with whipped cream and enjoy!
Hint: Simmering for a long time might result in too thick hot chocolate due to the thickening agent corn flour. So simmer just until dark chocolate melts and it has a slightly thick pourable consistency.
Vegan: substitute dairy milk with soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk or any plant-based milk of your choice. Ensure to use unsweetened milk as this recipe has sugar. Skip topping or use vegan cream.
Gluten-free: replace cornflour with tapioca flour or arrowroot starch.
Healthy Sweetener: use maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar instead of brown sugar for a healthy hot chocolate.
Cream adds a lovely taste and texture to this hot chocolate. Either use half cup each of milk and cream or just replace ⅓ cup of milk with cream. Consider using cream only if you are not concerned about extra calories.
Spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg make a fantastic addition and elevate the flavour. Just a large pinch goes a long way in making hot chocolate super delicious.
A dash of vanilla extract adds a lovely aroma and flavour.
Cinnamon stick dipped in hot chocolate
Tips and Tricks
Do not skip corn flour as it helps this easy hot chocolate to thicken and give a silky smooth texture.
Too much cocoa powder imparts a bitter taste to this hot chocolate recipe. So be mindful if you consider adding extra cocoa powder.
Sieve cocoa powder and cornflour to get rid of any lumps.
First make a paste of dry ingredients adding a few tablespoons of milk gradually, then add the rest of the milk. Adding full milk to dry ingredients would result in forming small lumps.
Do not add too much corn flour as it would alter the taste and flavour of hot chocolate due to its strong flavour. Just a little bit is sufficient to slightly thicken the hot chocolate.
I would suggest using whole milk as it lends a creaminess and a sweet taste to this homemade hot chocolate. You may not get that beautiful creamy texture with semi-skimmed (low fat) or skimmed (no fat) milk.
Chocolate chips are totally optional to use. They are used to intensify the chocolate flavour and to get a smooth texture.
You can use either chocolate chips, shavings or chunks. Ensure to chop them finely regardless of what you prefer to use.
If you are not a fan of bittersweet chocolate, feel free to use milk chocolate chips or chunks. Adjust sugar accordingly.
Chocolate drink tastes great on its own when you want to cozy up on cold days.
📖 Recipe Card
Homemade Hot Chocolate
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 cups (or) 500ml Milk
- 1 Tablespoon (or) 14 gms Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons (or) 5 gms Brown Sugar adjust to taste
- 2 Teaspoons (or) 10 gms Corn Flour (Corn Starch)
- 2 Tablespoons (or) 51 gms Dark chocolate finely chopped
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
- Sieve cocoa powder and corn flour in a saucepan.
- Add ¼ cup milk and whisk until the ingredients are well combined and get a paste consistency. Add a little more milk if required. But ensure not to add too much milk to prevent lumps forming.
- Now, add the remaining milk and whisk until well combined.
- Put the saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and chocolate chips and bring it to boil.
- Keep stirring regularly to prevent hot chocolate from burning and sticking to the base of the saucepan.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until chocolate melts completely.
- Pour into a mug, top it with whipped cream and enjoy!
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this delicious hot chocolate recipe. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.