Creamy vegetable soup is a warming, cozy and tasty dish to devour especially during the winter. This vegan soup is perfect to have for lunch or dinner. It is perhaps a great way to sneak in as many vegetables as possible to ensure fussy kids eat their healthy meals without any fuss.
This healthy and satisfying easy vegetarian soup is such a versatile dish that pairs well with garlic bread, dinner rolls or with a simple side dish.
The best part of this insanely easy vegetarian soup is that it can be prepared with any vegetables that you have on hand and it is an ideal recipe to use up the leftover vegetables in the fridge/freezer. The left over coconut milk could be used to make coconut milk custard, coconut pudding, wheat payasam.
- Vegetables: Carrot, butternut squash, cauliflower, potato, celery, green peas, onion, ginger, garlic, coriander.
- Spices and Condiments: Ground cumin, flour, salt and pepper.
- Liquids: oil, vegetable stock, coconut milk.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Heat the oil in a pot over medium-low heat.
Once the oil is hot, sauté onion, carrot, potato, garlic and ginger for 5-7 minutes or until the onion turns soft and translucent.
Add the diced celery, squash, cauliflower florets and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the green peas, salt, pepper, ground cumin, flour and mix well.
Now add vegetable stock and mix well.
Close the pot with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, take the lid off the pot. Stir in the coconut milk and continue boiling for a couple of minutes.
Finally, add the chopped coriander.
Enjoy the delicious piping hot vegan vegetable soup with bread or any side dish of your choice.
Substitute the coconut milk with cream for an extra creamy texture.
You may use fresh parsley instead of coriander.
Fresh herbs can be substituted with dried herbs for a flavour variation.
Switch the vegetables for varied flavour and taste. Consider using a leek, broccoli, pumpkin, sweet potato or cabbage.
Spicy: Add the green chillies/ red chilli flakes to spice up the soup.
Protein: Add the boiled chickpea or kidney beans to add the protein factor to this nutritious vegetable soup.
Seasoning: Italian seasoning or any dried herbs adds a lovely flavour.
Extra nutrition: Consider green leafy vegetables for added nutrients.
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour instead of plain flour.
You can store the soup in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let the soup cool completely and then store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Consider freezing the soup in portions if you plan to make a batch for future use.
Tips and Tricks
Dice the hard vegetables such as a carrot and a potato into small cubes or rounds to speed up the cooking process. Big chunks of vegetables take quite a long time to soften.
Always cook the hard vegetables first followed by the soft vegetables. Never cook hard and soft vegetables together.
Adding the salt while cooking the vegetables helps to bring the moisture out of the vegetables quickly, so the cooking process speeds up as well.
Blend the soup as smooth as you can for the fussy kids if they struggle to eat food with varied textures.
Flour acts as a thickening agent so try not to skip it.
The classic combination with this creamy soup is either garlic bread or dinner rolls.
📖 Recipe Card
Creamy Vegetable Soup
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 132 gms (or) 1cup (or) 1 large Onion chopped
- 1 Teaspoon (or) 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon (or) ½ inch Ginger finely chopped
- 175 gms (or) 1 cup (or) 2 medium Potatoes chopped
- 87 gms (or) ½ cup Celery chopped
- 75 gms (or) ½ cup (or) 2 medium size Carrots chopped
- 70 gms (or) ½cup Cauliflower flrets chopped
- 117 gms (or) ¾ cup Butternut Squash chopped
- 49 gms (or) ⅓ cup Frozen Green Peas thawed
- Salt as required
- Pepper as required
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin (Cumin Powder)
- 1 Tablespoon Plain Flour (Self-Raising Flour)
- 400 ml (or) 1 ⅔ cups Coconut Milk
- 400ml (or) 1 ⅔ cups Vegetable Stock
- handful Coriander chopped
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium-low heat.2 tablespoon Oil
- Once the oil is hot, sauté onion, carrot, potato, garlic and ginger for 5-7 minutes or until the onion turns soft and translucent.132 gms (or) 1cup (or) 1 large Onion, 1 Teaspoon (or) 2 cloves Garlic, 175 gms (or) 1 cup (or) 2 medium Potatoes, 75 gms (or) ½ cup (or) 2 medium size Carrots, 1 Teaspoon (or) ½ inch Ginger
- Add the diced celery, squash, cauliflower florets and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.87 gms (or) ½ cup Celery, 117 gms (or) ¾ cup Butternut Squash, 70 gms (or) ½cup Cauliflower flrets
- Add the green peas, salt, pepper, ground cumin, flour and mix well.49 gms (or) ⅓ cup Frozen Green Peas, Salt, Pepper, 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin (Cumin Powder), 1 Tablespoon Plain Flour (Self-Raising Flour)
- Now add vegetable stock and mix well.400ml (or) 1 ⅔ cups Vegetable Stock
- Close the pot with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the lid off the pot. Stir in the coconut milk and continue boiling for a couple of minutes.400 ml (or) 1 ⅔ cups Coconut Milk
- Finally, add the chopped coriander.handful Coriander
- Enjoy the delicious piping hot vegan vegetable soup with bread or any side dish of your choice.
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this warming mixed vegetable soup. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.