Coconut Pudding - rich, creamy and luscious dessert made with coconut milk. This dairy-free and eggless coconut pudding is super simple to make in one pan with minimal ingredients and whips up quickly. One of the delicious vegan coconut desserts perfect to serve as a dessert or snack.
Traditional Hawaiian dessert Haupia is somewhat similar in preparation but it doesn't contain any flavouring agents. Chinese Dim Sum restaurant style coconut milk pudding is also made with the same ingredients and process, additionally evaporated milk and gelatin/agar agar are used.
This easy coconut pudding recipe makes a great dessert to make with just a few plant-based ingredients in less than 30 minutes. The only time-consuming part of this easy dessert is the time pudding takes to set.
However, this vegan dessert could be enjoyed immediately if you can't wait until it solidifies. Pour it into bowls and enjoy creamy pudding with family or friends as a single serving.
Vegan Coconut pudding recipe variations
A pinch of ground cardamom or ground cinnamon gives it a wonderfully wholesome and amazing flavour.
Try adding strawberry puree for a fruity version.
Add cocoa powder to make yummy vegan chocolate coconut pudding and top it with chocolate shavings to make it a rich dessert.
Swap vanilla with a dash of rose water to add a lovely floral aroma to this coconut milk pudding.
For a gluten-free version, substitute cornflour with arrowroot powder.
Substitute regular sugar with coconut sugar if you don't mind the dark colour and earthy taste of the pudding.
How to serve eggless coconut pudding?
It's a great dessert after family dinner or as a snack.
Once pudding reaches a creamy consistency, pour it into individual serving dishes such as ramekins or dessert cups, garnish with fruits, nuts or toasted coconut and serve it as instant coconut pudding. This is the best option for those who don't like solidified pudding or those who don't have time to wait for the pudding to set.
More coconut milk recipes
Coconut Milk: I've used full-fat coconut milk tin. Feel free to use homemade fresh coconut milk but do not use coconut water.
Sweetener: I've used regular sugar here. You can use light coloured honey or stevia.
Thickening Agent: I've used cornflour/ corn starch as a thickening agent and helps to get a smooth and silky soft texture. You can use arrowroot powder instead.
Flavour Enhancer: Vanilla extract is an ideal option to enhance the flavour of pudding. You could use vanilla pod or pure extract.
Toppings (optional): I've used chopped walnuts and desiccated coconut. You can also use chopped fresh fruit, shredded coconut, coconut flakes or toasted coconut chips.
1. Grease a square container with coconut oil and keep it aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine cornflour, a little coconut milk, and whisk until you get a smooth lump-free cornstarch mixture.
3. Now add sugar, vanilla extract.
4. Add remaining coconut milk and whisk well.
5. Keep the saucepan on a burner and cook over medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Keep stirring constantly to avoid the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan.
6. Let the hot coconut milk mixture cool down and then transfer it to the greased container. Keep eggless pudding in the fridge to set for a minimum of 2-3 hours.
Once set, cut vegan coconut pudding into squares, put chopped walnuts and desiccated coconut on top of the pudding and serve immediately or store them in an airtight container to serve later.
This homemade coconut milk pudding keeps good for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Adjust sugar to suit your taste preference.
I've used two full-fat coconut milk tins, each 400ml. You can use light coconut milk tin or homemade coconut milk. Ensure to use only thick milk (extracted at the first pressing) and not thin milk (extracted from the second and third pressing). With light coconut milk, you may not get the extra creaminess that you would get from full-fat coconut milk.
Tips and Tricks
Ensure to mix the contents well before turning the heat on to avoid forming lumps.
Always cook at low flame stirring constantly to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan.
Coconut pudding thickens further and sets when chilled. So be sure to allow it to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
Lumps should not form if you keep stirring constantly, but if you get a few lumps, strain the creamy coconut pudding through a fine sieve before serving or chilling.
📖 Recipe Card
Coconut Milk Pudding
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 tablespoon =15ml ; 1 teaspoon =5ml
- 4 Walnuts Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated Coconut
- Before you get started, scroll up a little and watch a quick recipe video.
- Check the notes and tips at the bottom of the recipe for extra info and help.
- Grease a square container with coconut oil and keep it aside.½ tablespoon Coconut Oil
- In a saucepan, combine cornflour, little coconut milk and whisk until you get a smooth lump-free mixture.⅓ cup (50gms) Corn Flour/Corn Starch, 3 cups + ¼ cup 800ml Coconut Milk
- Now add sugar, vanilla extract.¾ cup (180 gms) Sugar, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add remaining coconut milk and whisk well.3 cups + ¼ cup 800ml Coconut Milk
- Keep the saucepan on a burner and cook over medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Keep stirring constantly to avoid sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Let the sauce cool down and then transfer to the greased container. Keep it in the fridge to set for at least 2-3 hours.
- Once set, cut into squares, garnish with chopped walnuts and desiccated coconut serve immediately or store them in an air tight container to serve later.4 Walnuts, 1 tablespoon Desiccated Coconut
Tips and TricksEnsure to mix the contents well before turning the heat on to avoid forming lumps. Always cook at low flame stirring constantly to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan. Pudding thickens further and sets when chilled. So ensure to allow it to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. ** Nutritional information provided here is estimated and for guidance only. Please refer my Recipe Disclaimer for more details.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this fabulous vegan coconut dessert- homemade coconut milk pudding. I love to get feedback from readers.