Rich, creamy, gluten-free and vegan rice pudding made with just 4 ingredients is an incredibly delicious dessert perfect to enjoy either warm or chilled.
This coconut rice pudding is one such creamy dreamy dessert that is so easy and simple to make with just a handful of ingredients that is an ideal dish to make specifically for beginners. It doesn't involve any complex process or a long list of ingredients to remember either. One saucepan, ladle, 4 ingredients and 30 minutes of your time are all required to prepare this delicious 4 ingredient dessert.
This egg free and dairy free rice pudding is a great vegan dessert to enjoy after meals, as a snack or anytime whenever the sweet cravings kicks in.
Dairy free rice pudding is such a versatile dessert that tastes good either cold, warm or even straight from the saucepan. It tastes delicious at any temperature that you would like to enjoy. There are endless topping options - fresh fruits, nuts and fruit compote to name a few. However, this vegan pudding does thicken up as it cools. You might need to stir in more milk to get it back to your desired consistency and texture.
- Uncooked Rice: I use long-grain rice. Feel free to use short-grain or any other rice variety of your choice.
- Milk: Full-fat coconut milk has been used to get a creamy texture and lovely flavour. But feel free to use any plant-based milk.
- Sweetener: I use brown sugar for its lovely caramelised flavour and taste. Feel free to use maple syrup, refined sugar or any sweetener of your choice.
- Spice: I always use crushed cardamom in my pudding for its lovely flavour.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Wash the rice 2-3 times under cold running water to remove any dirt and debris if present.
Soak the washed rice in the water for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, drain the water and keep the rice aside.
In a deep-bottomed saucepan, combine coconut milk and rice.
Bring it to boil on medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
Once the mixture comes to a boil, mix in brown sugar and continue cooking for 12-15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and the coconut milk is almost absorbed.
Stir in the crushed cardamom and switch the heat off.
Enjoy hot rice pudding with the topping of your choice or store it in the fridge in a clean airtight container until ready to eat.
Hint: Keep stirring regularly to prevent the pudding from sticking to the base of the pan.
Use low-fat coconut milk instead of full fat to reduce calories.
You can use short-grain pudding rice instead of long-grain rice.
Use cinnamon or nutmeg instead of cardamom to switch flavours.
Any plant-based milk could be used instead of coconut milk.
A dash of vanilla extract adds a lovely flavour.
Serve this vegan rice pudding with fresh fruits topped on it.
This coconut rice pudding tastes great with a fruit jam or compote topping.
Mix in a handful of chopped nuts- cashews, almonds or walnuts and enjoy.
Try topping this rice pudding with dried fruits - raisins, apricots or cranberries.
Pudding tastes good for 3-4 days when stored properly in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Stir in more milk if necessary to adjust the consistency.
Consider storing it in the freezer for longer shelf life. Divide pudding into desired portions, place each portion in a freezer-friendly container and keep them in the freezer. Use them up in 3 months. Either thaw each portion in the fridge overnight or microwave if it has a defrost option.
Tips and Tricks
Soaking rice helps reduce the cooking time.
Keep stirring while cooking to prevent the rice from sticking to the base of the pan.
Cook until ¾ of the milk is absorbed or you'll end up with a gloppy pudding. Do not worry if pudding looks like a thick soup, it thickens as it cools.
If your pudding is too thick for your liking, stir in a little more milk just before serving to loosen up.
Cooking time may vary depending on the type of rice and the burner you use. Parboiled rice takes longer to cook and require more liquid.
If the coconut milk is almost absorbed but the rice is not yet well cooked, then add more milk and continue cooking until the rice is completely cooked and milk is absorbed.
More Simple Dessert Recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Vegan Rice Pudding
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 3 cups Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 cup (or) 225 gms Rice
- ¾ cup (or) 140 gms Brown Sugar adjust to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Cardamom
- Wash the rice 2-3 times under cold running water to remove any dirt and debris if present.1 cup (or) 225 gms Rice
- Soak the washed rice in the water for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- In a deep-bottomed saucepan, combine coconut milk and rice.3 cups Full Fat Coconut Milk, 1 cup (or) 225 gms Rice
- Bring it to boil on medium-high heat, stirring regularly.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, mix in brown sugar and continue cooking for 12-15 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and the coconut milk is almost absorbed.¾ cup (or) 140 gms Brown Sugar
- Stir in the crushed cardamom and switch the heat off.1 Teaspoon Crushed Cardamom
- Enjoy hot pudding with the topping of your choice or store it in the fridge in a clean airtight container until ready to eat.
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this delicious vegan rice pudding. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.