Coconut rice is a very simple Indian rice recipe and is one of the beginner's delight. This mild and flavourful Indian coconut rice recipe is a vegan and gluten free rice recipe. A perfect dish to pack for a lunchbox or to use up left over rice.
Steamed Rice: 2 cups
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds: ¼ tsp
Urad Dal (Split Black Gram): 1 tsp
Channa Dal (Yellow Split Lentils): 1 tsp
Peanuts: ⅓ cup
Curry leaves: Few
Red chillies: 2, broken
Green cilli: 1, slit
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Salt: as required
Fresh coriander leaves: ¼ cup
How to make south Indian coconut rice?
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them crackle, add cumin seeds and peanuts, saute for a minute.
Add chana dal and urad dal saute until dal turns light golden brown.
Now add chopped green chilies, broken red chillies, few curry leaves and sauté for few seconds or till red chillies change colour.
Now add grated coconut mix well and cook for few seconds and turn off the heat. It is not necessary to fry the grated coconut until it turns brown.
Add salt, coriander leaves and boiled rice.
Mix until well combined.
Enjoy delicious and mildly spiced south Indian style coconut rice with poppadums, pickle or any side dish of your choice.
Cook rice either in an instant pot pressure cooker or on a stovetop. Spread freshly cooked rice on a plate to cool down to room temperature before adding to the seasoning as it ensures even mixing and each rice grain is separated.
Best is to use leftover rice for this recipe as little dried rice helps in even and easy mixing.
You could use any rice variety - sona masoori, ponni, long grain or basmati rice.
Adjust chillies according to your preferred spice levels.
Freshly grated coconut tastes best for this recipe, but frozen coconut can be used too.
Urad dal and chana dal adds a lovely nutty aroma and taste. But you could leave them out if you don't have them on hand.
Ensure not to use freshly cooked rice immediately as it could get mushy while mixing. Allow rice to cool and then use it.
Do not store the rice made with fresh grated coconut and leftover rice I would rather suggest finishing it off the same day.
If you prepare this coconut-flavoured rice with freshly cooked rice then you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat the rice in the microwave until piping hot and serve.
More recipes with left over rice
Jeera Rice: An easy and quick way to make fragrant rice seasoned with cumin.
Lemon Rice: A tangy, crunchy and flavourful dish that gets together in under 20 minutes and makes an ideal dish on busy weekdays or to pack for a lunchbox.
Corn Fried Rice: An easy and quick vegan dish that makes a perfect weeknight dinner.
Carrot Rice: Tasty and flavourful rice made with carrot, nuts, cooked rice and a few spices.
📖 Recipe Card
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them crackle, add cumin seeds and peanuts, saute for a minute.2 Tablespoon Oil, ¼ Teaspoon Mustard Seeds, ¼ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds, ⅓ Cup Peanuts
- Add chana dal and urad dal saute until dal turns light golden brown.1 Teaspoon Chana Dal/ Yellow Split Lentils, 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal/ Split Black Gram
- Now add chopped green chillies, broken red chillies, few curry leaves and sauté for few seconds or till red chillies change colour.2 Red Chillies, 1 Green Chilli, Few Curry Leaves
- Now add grated coconut mix well and cook for few seconds and turn off the heat. It is not necessary to fry the grated coconut until it turns brown.1 Cup Grated Coconut
- Add salt, coriander leaves and cooked rice.Salt, ¼ Cup Coriander, 2 Cups Rice
- Mix until well combined.
- Enjoy delicious and mildly spiced Coconut Rice with poppadums, pickle, chips or any just with the salad.
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this easy coconut rice recipe. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.