Zucchini mushroom pasta is a quick and easy dish that gets ready in less than 30 minutes and makes a perfect weeknight dinner. It is one of the super simple pasta recipes that practically gets ready by the time the pasta gets cooked.
This pasta dish is an easy recipe made with basic ingredients that you will have in your pantry. No heavy cream, no butter, and no excessive cheese. It’s a simple pasta recipe loaded with the goodness of vibrant zucchini, earthy mushrooms and simple seasoning.
Why you will love this vegetable pasta?
It is easy to make
Gets ready in 30 minutes
No gourmet ingredients required
- Pasta: I've used penne pasta but feel free to use any pasta of your choice.
- Vegetables: Zucchini (courgettes), mushrooms, onion and garlic are used.
- Seasoning: I've used pantry staples - dried parsley, salt and red chilli flakes.
- Oil: Olive oil has been used in this recipe.
- Cheese: I've used cheddar cheese but feel free to use any cheese that your family likes.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make zucchini mushroom pasta?
Cut zucchini into half lengthwise. Then cut each half into ½-inch thick slices.
Cut each button mushroom into quarters. Hold mushroom with the stem facing upwards, cut lengthwise and crosswise.
In a large pot, add water, salt and boil over medium-high heat.
Bring salted water to a rolling boil.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan/ large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves and cook for 5 minutes or until onion turns soft and translucent.
Now add zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes.
At this point add pasta and cook as per package instructions until al dente.
Save a glass of pasta water and then drain the pasta.
Stir in mushrooms and cook the mushroom zucchini mixture for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms release moisture.
Stir in red chilli flakes, salt and parsley.
Add cheese and drained pasta, and mix well until pasta is well coated with the sauce.
Enjoy delicious zucchini mushroom pasta.
Variations and Substitutions
Garlic: Garlic granules or garlic powder could be used instead of fresh garlic.
Fresh Herbs: Use fresh parsley or basil instead of dried.
Cheese: I've used combination of cheddar and mozzarella. But any other variety of cheese of your choice could be used instead. Be aware if you want to use parmesan cheese. It is NOT vegetarian as it contains animal rennet. Always check the label before buying.
Leafy Vegetables: Fresh green leafy vegetables make a great addition to zucchini pasta. Toss a handful of spinach or collard greens along with cooked pasta.
Vegetables: Colourful vegetables make pasta with zucchini and mushrooms more appealing for kids. This is the best recipe to use up leftover vegetables lying in the fridge.
Pasta: Any pasta would work here - penne, rigatoni, angel hair pasta or any pasta of your choice. I prefer pasta with ridges as the sauce sticks well to these kinds of pasta.
Black Pepper: Red chilli flakes could be replaced with cracked black pepper.
Mushrooms: I have used button mushrooms but other varieties work. Try using portobello, oyster or baby Bella.
Fridge: Mushroom zucchini pasta keeps good for 2-3 days if stored in a clean container with a tight lid.
Reheat: take the desired amount of sauce into a bowl and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop and toss the pasta. You might have to add a little liquid to loosen up the pasta.
Zucchini and mushroom pasta is a filling dish on its own. However, it goes well with various simple side dishes, such as sweet potato wedges, potato wedges, maple roasted carrots, or garlic herb roasted vegetables.
Tips and Tricks
Pasta: Cook pasta according to instructions on the package just until al dente, do not overcook it.
Pasta water: Save pasta water to use while cooking the veggie rasta pasta sauce just in case.
Add cold water over the cooked pasta in the colander to prevent it from cooking further and sticking to each other.
Zucchini: I like a soft texture but cook for a bit less time for a firm texture.
Both words refer to the same vegetable, but the term zucchini is Italian and the term courgette is French. It belongs to a squash species of the gourd family.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this mushroom zucchini pasta. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 60 gms (or) 1 small Onion peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and chopped finrly or minced.
- 250 gms (or) 8.8 oz Zucchini (Courgette)
- 117 gms (or) 4.1 oz Button Mushrooms
- Salt as required
- ½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes adjust to desired spice level
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 250 gms (or) 8.9 oz Penne Pasta
- 20 gms (or) 1 Tablespoon Cheese (mozarella and cheddar)
- Water to cook pasta
- Cut zucchini into half lengthwise. Then cut each half into ½-inch thick slices.250 gms (or) 8.8 oz Zucchini (Courgette)
- Cut each button mushroom into quarters. Hold mushroom with the stem facing upwards, cut lengthwise and crosswise.117 gms (or) 4.1 oz Button Mushrooms
- In a large pot, add water, salt and boil over medium-high heat.Water, Salt
- Bring salted water to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan/ large skillet over medium heat.2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- Add onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves and cook for 5 minutes or until onion turns soft and translucent.60 gms (or) 1 small Onion, 2 cloves Garlic
- Now add zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes.250 gms (or) 8.8 oz Zucchini (Courgette)
- At this point add pasta and cook as per package instructions until al dente.250 gms (or) 8.9 oz Penne Pasta
- Stir in mushrooms and cook the mushroom zucchini mixture for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms release moisture.117 gms (or) 4.1 oz Button Mushrooms
- Save a glass of pasta water and then drain the pasta.
- Add pasta water and stir well.
- Stir in red chilli flakes, salt and parsley.½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes, 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley, Salt
- Add cheese and drained pasta, and mix well until pasta is well coated with the sauce.20 gms (or) 1 Tablespoon Cheese (mozarella and cheddar)
- Enjoy delicious zucchini mushroom pasta.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with zucchini mushroom pasta:
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly healthy and fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more