Caramelised maple roasted carrots flavoured with thyme is a fabulous dish made with just a few pantry ingredients with absolutely no effort. Slightly spicy, sweet and indulgent vegan roasted carrots are so delicious and a healthy way to enjoy this humble vegetable.
This irresistible maple glazed carrots will be a super hit with family, specifically fussy kids who will finish it off without any tantrums or complaints. Roasted carrots with thyme is the best way to convert carrot haters. The oven roasted carrots are great as an easy and healthy weeknight side dish that goes well with any light or heavy meals.
Carrots are one such amazing vegetable that could be used raw in salads such as carrot kosambari and no mayo coleslaw. Carrot sticks are amazing in vegetable wraps or in vegetable platters served with simple peanut dipping sauce or honey mustard sauce. If you have abundant carrots on hand then try these simple yet filling dishes - carrot rice, carrot pasta, carrot chutney.
Roasting vegetables is a great way to gain maximum health benefits rather than boiling them. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of vegetables and the caramelising process enriches its complex flavours.
- Carrots: I use regular carrots. Feel free to use baby carrots. However, you may have to reduce roasting time.
- Oil: Olive oil infuse a lovely flavour and aroma. Feel free to use any cooking oil with high smoking point.
- Maple Syrup: It boosts the flavours of the roasted carrots.
- Salt & Pepper: For seasoning.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme imparts amazing flavour. Dry herbs could also be used instead.
- Garlic: Garlic granules is used here. Fresh garlic could be used instead.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Wash, trim the edges of carrots and peel them. Cut each carrot diagonally into pieces.
Preheat oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6/400F
Place carrots on a roasting tray.
Add oil, salt, pepper and maple syrup. Mix well with your hands until carrots are coated with oil and seasoning.
Now arrange carrots into a single layer.
Put the tray in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes.
Take the tray out of the oven and flip carrots.
Stir in thyme in oil and drizzle over carrots, put the tray back in the oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes or until carrots start browning at the edges. (Time varies based on size and type of carrots used).
Turn the oven off and take the tray out of the oven.
Enjoy delicious maple roasted carrots with any main meal.
Add chilli powder/cayenne pepper to spice up the roasted carrots for spice lovers. Stir it in the oil along with other seasonings.
Ground cumin adds a lovely flavour.
Add extra herbs such as parsley for added flavour. Sprinkle freshly chopped parsley at the end after roasting.
Fresh Garlic could be used instead of granules. Mix in freshly minced garlic in oil along with thyme and add halfway through roasting.
Tips and Tricks
Spread the carrots into a single layer to ensure proper roasting. If necessary divide them into two trays but do not overfill the tray.
Cut carrots into the same sizes to ensure uniform roasting.
Do not forget to toss carrots halfway through the roasting to make sure both sides are well roasted.
The roasting time varies depending on the type of carrots used and the size you cut them into.
Ensure to roast carrots just until they start caramelising at the edges. They must be well cooked and tender such that the fork easily pierces through.
Store leftover roasted carrots in the fridge for a day or two. Reheat in the oven until piping hot before serving.
If you plan to make this healthy side dish for a party, then wash, peel, trim the edges, cut and then place them in a bowl of water. Cover the bowl with cling wrap or plate and store it in the fridge. When ready to roast, remove carrots from water, pat dry, toss in oil, maple syrup and seasoning, and then roast.
Storing cut carrots in water maximises their freshness.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
More Roast Recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Maple Roasted Carrots
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
- Wash, trim the edges of carrots and peel them. Cut each carrot diagonally into pieces.423 gms (or) 2 cups (or) 5 medium size Carrots
- Preheat oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6/400F
- Place carrots on a roasting tray.
- Add oil, salt, pepper, maple syrup and thyme. Mix well with your hands until carrots are coated with oil and seasoning.1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil, Pepper, Salt, 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- Now arrange carrots into a single layer.
- Put the tray in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and flip carrots.
- Stir in thyme in oil and drizzle over carrots, put the tray back in the oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes or until carrots start browning at the edges. (Time varies based on size and type of carrots used).1½ Tablespoon Olive Oil, 2-3 sprigs Thyme
- Turn the oven off and take the tray out of the oven.
- Enjoy delicious maple roasted carrots with any main meal.
Do let me know if you make this simple maple glazed carrots. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.