Root vegetables roasted with garlic and herb are a great side dish to have on the roast dinner menu. It is so easy to prepare with just a few simple pantry ingredients. Herbs and garlic add an amazing flavour and aroma to the roast vegetables. This easy peasy roast vegetables are gluten free and vegan.
Roast dishes such as this roasted root vegetables, crispy roasted baby potatoes, roasted turnips, crispy baked potato wedges are so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients and these dishes could be customised depending on what spices, herbs are on hand and to suit family's taste preference.
These amazing roast vegetables are great on weekdays specifically during winter and perfect as a part of roast dinner. With just a few simple ingredients and not so labour intensive steps make this recipe a must to have in a weekly meal plan. Although it is an easy recipe to make, it does require attention as the vegetables has to be flipped half way through cooking to ensure even roasting.
- Vegetables: carrot, parsnip, potato, onion and garlic are used in this recipe.
- Seasoning: I use just salt and pepper. Feel free to use your desired seasoning to switch flavours.
- Herbs: fresh rosemary and thyme are used here.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
Peel carrots, parsnips and potato skin and slice them into long thick wedges.
Peel onion and garlic and then cut the onion into chunky slices. Keep onions and garlic aside.
Place carrots, parsnips and potatoes in a roasting tray.
Add oil, pepper, salt and mix well until the vegetables are well coated.
Spread them evenly in a single layer.
Put the roasting tray in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and flip vegetables with a spatula or a slotted turner.
Now add onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme twigs.
Put the roasting tray back in the oven and roast for another 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are well roasted with crispy outer.
Take the tray out of the oven and put it on a cooling rack.
Enjoy hot and delicious garlic herb roasted vegetables with any main dish of your choice.
Hint: Do not forget to flip vegetables as it will ensure vegetables cook evenly.
Instead of fresh herbs try adding dried herbs for a change. You must add them at the beginning along with oil and seasoning. You could try various dried herbs such as oregano, sage, Italian herbs.
Try adding different hard vegetables such as turnip, kohlrabi.
Fresh parsley adds a lovely flavour. Sprinkle on freshly roasted vegetables once you take the tray out of the oven.
Garlic powder could be used instead of fresh garlic. Mix it in along with oil and seasoning at the beginning.
A dash of lime juice adds a zing and elevates the flavour. Add it just before serving these oven-roasted vegetables.
Ground cumin is a lovely spice to add to this roasted root vegetables.
Tips and tricks
Do not add garlic, onion and fresh herbs at the beginning along with other hard vegetables. Add them halfway through roasting to prevent them from charring.
Take the tray out of the oven halfway through roasting, flip the vegetables, put the tray back in the oven and continue cooking until done. If you do not flip vegetables, you will end up with unevenly roasted vegetables.
Add a little extra oil to get a crispy outer. Ensure not to add so much oil that the vegetables are drowned in it.
Cut vegetables into uniform thick wedges so that all the vegetables roast at the same time.
Spread vegetables in a single layer on a roasting tray to ensure they roast well. If necessary, divide them into two trays.
Ensure to roast at a high temperature around 200 C. Low temperature would turn vegetables soggy and soft rather than crispy.
The suggested roasting time may vary depending on the type of oven you use and its settings.
Ensure to use any oil that has a high smoking point.
These herb-roasted vegetables stay good for 2-3 days if stored properly in the fridge. Reheat in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are piping hot and crisp.
Roast vegetables do not freeze well.
Serve these delicious roasted vegetables with simple salads such as corn cucumber tomato salad, chickpea salad, carrot salad, masala corn.
This roasted root vegetables goes well as a side dish with vegetable quesadilla, vegetable flatbread pizza.
How to use up leftover roasted root vegetables
Leftover vegetables make a great stuffing in vegetable wraps.
Mash and use them up to make vegetable patties or in my chickpea veggie patties.
Roasted vegetables can be used up to make mini vegetable frittata.
Warm up these leftovers and mix it in my saffron rice to make it a vegetable pulao or toss them along with basic spices and plain boiled rice and then season to taste.
Garlic Herb Roasted Root Vegetables
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 308 gms (or) 1 cup (or) 2 big size Potatoes wash, peel and cut into wedges
- 186 gms (or) ¾ cup (or) 3 medium size Carrots wash, peel and cut into wedges
- 256 gms (or) 1 cup (or) 3 medium size Parsnips wash, peel and cut into wedges
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt as required
- Pepper as required
- 2 twigs Rosemary
- 2 twigs Thyme
- 4-5 cloves Garlic peel
- 126 gms (or) ½ cup (or) 2 medium Red Onion peel and cut into wedges
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Peel carrots, parsnips and potato skin and slice them into long thick wedges.
- Peel onion and garlic and then cut the onion into chunky slices. Keep onions and garlic aside.
- Place carrots, parsnips and potatoes in a roasting tray.
- Add oil, pepper, salt and mix well until the vegetables are well coated.
- Spread them evenly in a single layer.
- Put the roasting tray in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and flip vegetables with a spatula or a slotted turner.
- Now add onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme twigs.
- Put the roasting tray back in the oven and roast for another 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are well roasted with crispy outer.
- Take the tray out of the oven and put it on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy hot and delicious garlic herb roasted vegetables with any main dish of your choice.
Do let me know if you make this simple yet delicious garlic herb roasted root vegetables. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.
You can stay up to date by following on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribe to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
Leave a Reply