Indulge in pasta with a creamy, healthy, and flavorful hidden veg pasta sauce made from assorted vegetables, herbs, and spices. Pasta cooked with a hidden vegetable sauce that kids love is an effective method to get them to eat healthy meals with no complaints.
This creamy pasta dish has a secret vegetable sauce that helps kids eat more vegetables. This vegetable pasta recipe is great for kids who don't like vegetables. The smooth vegetable sauce not only makes the pasta tastier but also adds an interesting smooth texture.
The best part about this vegetable sauce is that you can make a large amount of sauce and freeze it for later use. When making pasta, thaw the sauce, mix it with pasta, and add salt and pepper if needed. It not only saves time but also serves as a quick midweek dinner solution.
Why you will love this vegetable pasta?
It is easy to make
Best hidden veg pasta sauce recipe for kids
No gourmet ingredients required
It can be customised
How to make hidden veg pasta sauce?
This tomato and veggie pasta sauce is a straightforward and simple recipe made with pantry ingredients and vegetables. Combine spices, chopped tomatoes, and vegetables, cook and then grind to a smooth paste. Use any vegetables you have on hand or want to feed your kids. This method works wonders for picky kids who have trouble with the texture of vegetables.
For hidden vegetable pasta sauce
- Vegetables: Zucchini (courgettes), carrot, sweet potato, green bell pepper (capsium), tomatoes and garlic are used.
- Seasoning: I've used pantry staples - dried basil, oregano, salt and black pepper powder.
- Oil: Olive oil has been used in this recipe.
- Dairy: I've used cream to get that creamy texture and for extra flavour.
- Pasta: I've used rotini pasta but feel free to use any pasta of your choice.
How to make hidden veggie pasta sauce?
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium-low heat and cook vegetables, garlic until soft.
2. Add seasoning, spices, chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 mins. Let it cool completely.
3. Puree cooked vegetables with a hand held blender or in a mixer jar.
4. In the same pan, add required amount of vegetable sauce, cream.
5. Let it bubble over medium heat.
6. Add cooked pasta and mix until well combined.
Serve delicious pasta with hidden vegetable sauce to kids and watch how they finish off the bowl without any fuss.
Store the remaining sauce in a glass jar in the fridge or freezer.
Variations and Substitutions
Fresh or pureed tomatoes can be used as a substitute for canned tomatoes.
Use any leftover vegetables like red bell peppers, pumpkin or butternut squash for this hidden veggies sauce.
The sauce is kid-friendly. For a hot and fiery kick, sprinkle red chili flakes and toss the pasta before serving.
Instead of fresh garlic, you can use garlic granules or garlic powder.
How to Store Hidden Vegetable Sauce?
Make a big batch, divide it into portions and then store it in zip lock bags or freezer-friendly containers. Ensure to allow the sauce to cool completely before you transfer it to zip lock bags/containers. Take out a portion and keep it in the fridge to thaw a night before you plan to use it.
This veg pasta sauce stays good for 4-5 days in the fridge if stored in a clean airtight jar. Whenever you make a small batch store it in a fridge and make sure to use it up the same week.
Various ways to use vegetable sauce?
I made this hidden veggie tomato sauce specifically for pasta. However, this kid-friendly pasta sauce could be used as a multi-purpose sauce in various recipes.
You could swap it for tomato sauce/chopped tomatoes in the curry or one-pot recipes.
It makes a great base sauce for vegetable bake, vegetable wraps or lasagne.
Tips and Tricks
Cook pasta according to instructions on the package just until al dente, do not overcook it.
Save pasta water to use while grinding the veggie pasta sauce just in case.
Add cold water over the cooked pasta in the colander to prevent it from cooking further and sticking to each other.
I've used rotini pasta. Feel free to use any pasta that you have in hand.
Adjust seasoning and spices to your kid's taste.
Skip pepper powder if you are making it for toddlers.
Despite being conscious while cooking so as not to end up with leftovers. Leftovers are something we often need to handle. Consider storing the cooked pasta and creamy sauce separately in the fridge.
Just before meals, you could reheat and combine them. Cooked pasta covered in sauce doesn't retain its freshness and flavour when reheated. It would still be edible, just a bit too soft and soggy.
Add a little coconut milk, water or vegetable broth and reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop stirring once or twice in between.
No, it's not vegan as cream has been used. However, this vegetable pasta recipe can be made vegan by swapping dairy cream with coconut cream or full fat coconut milk.
More Pasta Recipes
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this pasta with hidden vegetable pasta sauce. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Pasta with Hidden Vegetable Sauce
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 143 g (or) 1 cup (or) 2 medium Carrot chopped
- 166 g (or) 1.5 cups (or) 1 medium Courgettes chopped
- 47 g (or) ⅓ cup Green Pepper chopped
- 185 g (or) 1 cup (or) 1 large Sweet Potato chopped
- 400 g (or) 2 cups (or) 1 tin Tomato
- as required Salt
- as required Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Basil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 293 g (or) 3 cups Pasta (rotini or penne) cooked (563 gms)
- 125 ml (or) ½ cup Double Cream
To make hidden vegetable pasta sauce:
- Heat oil in a skillet/pan over medium low flame.1 Tablespoon Oil
- Once oil is hot, add garlic, carrot, courgettes, green peppers, sweet potato and salt. Mix well, close the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes until vegetables soften.143 g (or) 1 cup (or) 2 medium Carrot, 166 g (or) 1.5 cups (or) 1 medium Courgettes, 47 g (or) ⅓ cup Green Pepper, 185 g (or) 1 cup (or) 1 large Sweet Potato, 3 cloves Garlic
- Now add tinned chopped tomatoes, basil, oregano, pepper, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.400 g (or) 2 cups (or) 1 tin Tomato, as required Salt, as required Pepper, 1 Teaspoon Oregano, ½ Teaspoon Basil
- Switch off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Transfer the contents to a blender/mixer and grind until smooth.
To make hidden veggie pasta
- In a deep bottomed pan add required amount of vegetable sauce and cream.125 ml (or) ½ cup Double Cream
- Stir and let sauce bubble over medium low heat.
- At this point, check the seasoning and add if required.
- Put cooked pasta and stir until well combined.293 g (or) 3 cups Pasta (rotini or penne)
- Enjoy delicious and creamy vegetable pasta.
- Store the remaining sauce in a glass jar in fridge or freezer.
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more