Vegetable chettinad is a flavoursome and aromatic curry from chettinad cuisine that is well known for its culinary delicacies.
Marvalous and delectable chettinad cuisine from southern state Tamil Nadu has gained popularity worldwide for its intense flavour and complex blend of many well-balanced flavours. Spices used in the dishes are considered as the most defining aspects of this cuisine. Though the spices used in different dishes are all same, the aroma, flavour and the taste they offer to dish is extremely different.
Authentic chettinad masala
To make this curry I have used authentic homemade chettinad masalathat uses various dry roasted aromatic spices blend into a powder. Chettinad masala is an essential spice blend used in chettinad cuisine that provides intense flavour to the dish and one can feel the pronounced depth of flavours and aroma.
Check out my chettinad masala recipe. the spice blend that I have used in this curry.Are you doing #Veganuary, then check out Vegetable chettinad - a flavoursome and aromatic curry from chettinad cuisine. #veganfood #VeganForADay #Vegan
Perfect curry night recipe
If you are planning to host a dinner party, do try curry night theme. Planning theme ahead make meal planning so much easier and allows you to spend more time with friends and family in party. To host a successful curry night party important step is meal planning.
Let’s say you choose to go for a 3 course meal, start with poppadums with dips (Yogurt Mint sauce , sweet mango chutney) and simple onion salad. For 1st course (starters/appetisers) go for options such as Potato 65, Pineapple stuffed paneer tikka, for 2nd course choose scrumptious main course dishes such as this incredibly delicious vegetable chettinad curry, Paneer Jalfrezi, accompanied with plain basmati rice or simple Jeera Rice and naan/roti. For 3rd course choose decadent desserts such as Basundi, or just a simple Fruit salad with ginger lime dressing.
This party menu is guaranteed to take your taste buds on a journey where each mouthful sings a magical ‘WOW’ note and your guests come back to you asking for the recipe and ideas to host a curry night party.
So let’s see how to make vegetable chettinad curry in detail with process shots and video.
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tbsp = 15ml
Dried red chillies: 2, broken
Green chillies: 1, chopped
Curry leaves: few
Onion: 2 medium, chopped
Tomato: 1 large, chopped
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
Carrot: 3 medium size (1 cup slices), cut into 2 inch long slices
Beans: 14 (1 cup slices), cut into 2 inch slices
Green peas: 1/2 cup,
Potato: 2 medium (1 cup cubes), cut into cubes
Turmeric: a pinch
Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Chettinad masala: 2 tsp
Salt: as required
Water: 1.5 cups
Coriander leaves: Handful
Heat oil in a skillet or deep bottomed pan over medium heat, add cumin and let it crackle.
Now add red chillies, curry leaves and sauté until red chillies release strong aroma.
Add onion, sauté and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are soft and light brown stirring occasionally.
Now add ginger garlic paste, green chillies, sauté well and cook until raw aroma of ginger garlic vanishes.
Add tomatoes, sauté and cook for 2 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
Now add vegetables, turmeric, chilli powder, chettinad masala, salt, mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Add water mix well, close and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are completely cooked.
Finally add coriander leaves, mix well and turn off the heat.
Serve incredibly delicious vegetable chettinad curry with rice, chapathi, naan.
Adjust chillies and chettinad masala to suit your palate.
Feel free to use cauliflower, cabbage or any vegetables of your choice.
Vegetable Chettinad (Vegan spicy vegetable curry)
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tbsp = 15ml
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Dried red chillies
- 1 Green chillies chopped
- few Curry leaves
- 2 medium Onion chopped
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium (1 cup slices) Carrot cut into 2 inch long slices
- 14 (1 cup slices) Beans cut into 2 inch long slices
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 2 medium (1 cup cubes) Potato cut into cubes
- pinch Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Chettinad masala
- Salt as required
- 1.5 cups Water
- Handful Coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a skillet or heavy pan over medium heat, add cumin and let it crackle.
- Now add red chillies, curry leaves and sauté until red chillies release strong aroma.
- Add onion, sauté and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are soft and light brown stirring occasionally.
- Now add ginger garlic paste, green chillies, sauté well and cook until raw aroma of ginger garlic vanishes.
- Add tomatoes, sauté and cook for 2 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Now add vegetables, turmeric, chilli powder, chettinad masala, salt, mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add water mix well, close and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are completely cooked.
- Finally add coriander leaves, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Serve incredibly delicious vegetable chettinad curry with rice, chapathi, naan.
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this spicy curry. I love to get feedback from readers.
Check out Vegan Recipes for #Veganuary by fellow bloggers.
- Vegan Burrito Bowls with Jackfruit Carnitas by The Baking Fairy
- Baba Ganoush by Lemon Blossoms
- Creamy Vegan Curry Bean Soup by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Delicata Squash Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dipping Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Instant Pot Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by The Live-In Kitchen
- Instant Pot Chipotle Sofritas by Herbivore Cucina
- Moroccan Eggplant with Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Veggies with Satay Peanut Sauce by Hardly A Goddess
- Scrambled Tofu with Sweet Potato & Kale Hash by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Artichoke Hummus by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites by Cook With Renu
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwiches by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Vegan Cannellini Rocket Tortilla Pizza by The Fiery Vegetarian
- Vegan Cookie Dough Energy Balls by Veggie Lexi
- Vegan Cranberry Apple Chickpea Salad by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
- Vegan Fire-Roasted Tomato and Bean Soup by Blogghetti
- Vegan Khoresh Bademjan by Palatable Pastime
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Tofu by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Superfood Breakfast Cookies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrots with Peanuts by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vegan Vanilla Chai Oatmeal by Fairyburger