Lauki kofta curry - grated bottle gourd, gram flour, and spices are shaped into patties, pan-fried and served with a rich, creamy and delicious onion tomato curry sauce. This bottle gourd kofta curry is a vegan and gluten-free Indian curry recipe.
Here I have a healthy version of lauki kofta curry. With this simple recipe, cooking becomes not only less tedious but healthier as well, as koftas are pan-fried in less oil than deep-frying. This recipe is a perfect choice for regular dinner as well as to make ahead for parties and special occasions.
Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fiber. Along with Cashews, almonds and melon seeds adds to the consistency of the curry sauce and enhance the flavour as well. Star anise lends a subtly sweet and aromatic licorice-like flavour to the curry. Health benefits from bottle gourd, rich aroma and subtle flavours from spices, creamy and silky texture from cashews, almonds and melon seeds make this recipe healthy and delicious dish to indulge in anytime guilt-free.
Lauki kofta curry recipe variations
Leave out almonds and cashew and use just melon seeds, if you are looking for a cheap meal option.
Add some boiled and mashed potatoes in koftas for added taste and texture.
Bottle Gourd: 1 cup, peeled and grated
Green Chilli: 2, finely chopped
Ginger: ½ tsp, finely chopped
Garam Masala: ½ tsp
Gram Flour: ¼ cup
Coriander: 1 tbsp
Salt: as required
Oil: 2 tbsp
Oil: 3 tbsp
Onion: 2 medium, chopped
Tomato: 1 big, chopped
Ginger: 2 inches, peeled and chopped
Garlic: 2-3 cloves
Cashew nuts: ¼ cup
Almonds: 1 tbsp
Melon Seeds: 1 tablespoon (optional)
Bay Leaf: 1
Cassia/dalchini: 1 inch
Star Anise: 1
Chilli Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Garam Masala: ½ tsp
Coriander Powder: ½ tsp
Cumin Powder: ½ tsp
Salt: as required
How to make lauki kofta curry?
Lauki Kofta recipe
Firstly, line a wide bowl with cheesecloth, add grated lauki, wrap the cheesecloth around itself and squeeze as much moisture as possible and save it to use later in gravy.
In a wide bowl, add squeezed bottle gourd, finely chopped green chilies, coriander, garam masala, gram flour, salt, and mix until well combined.
Take a lime-sized ball from the mixture and press gently in your palm to make medium-thick patties.
Heat oil in a shallow pan, fry koftas on medium heat flipping once or twice for even browning.
Remove them from pan and drain over a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
To prepare gravy
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add onions, stir and fry for 2 -3 minutes or until soft and translucent.
Now add garlic followed by ginger, cashews, almonds, melon seeds, cassia, cardamom, cloves, star aniseed, bay leaf, sauté for a minute.
Add chopped tomatoes, sauté it and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature and blend it to a smooth paste.
In the same saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium flame.
Add the blended onion tomato sauce, red chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, half teaspoon coriander powder, half teaspoon garam masala, cumin powder, and salt.
Stir well so that all the spices blend well with the sauce.
Now cut the heat to the lowest setting, add 2 cups water, moisture squeezed out from bottle gourd, stir, put the lid on and simmer for 10 -15 minutes or until it reaches desired consistency.
Drop fried dumplings/ koftas gently one by one into the curry sauce.
Adjust the koftas in curry sauce so that they are almost submerged.
Simmer for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
Serve lauki kofta curry with roti, chapathi or rice.
Tips to make perfect lauki kofta curry
Gram flour acts as a binding agent for the koftas. Add just enough to bind the ingredients.
Adjust spices as per your preferred taste.
Melon seeds are used to get creamy consistency and texture.
Do not forget to squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the bottle gourd otherwise, it would be difficult to shape koftas..
More Indian Curry Recipes
Baby Corn Masala: A classic spicy and delicious curry that makes a great side dish for roti, naan, paratha, chapati and rice.
Capsicum Curry: Simple curry made with bell peppers, a few basic spices, sesame seeds, coconut and peanuts.
Green Peas Masala: A comforting and wholesome peas curry with coconut that pairs well with paratha or rice.
Vegetable Chettinad: Flavourful and spicy curry made with homemade Chettinad masala.
Moringa Leaves Dal: Wholesome and nutritious curry prepared with toor dal, moringa leaves and a few basic Indian spices.
📖 Recipe Card
Lauki Kofta Curry | Bottle gourd dumpling curry
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
For Gravy / Curry Sauce
- 2 + 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 medium size Onion chopped
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 2 inch Ginger peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Cashews
- 1 Tablespoon Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon Melon Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cassia / Dalchini
- 3 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- Salt as required
- Handful Coriander chopped
- Firstly, line a wide bowl with cheese cloth, add grated bottle gourd, wrap the cheesecloth around itself and squeeze as much moisture as possible and save it to use later in curry sauce.1 cup Bottle Gourd
- In a wide bowl, add squeezed bottle gourd, green chillies, ginger, coriander, garam masala, gram flour, salt and mix until well combined.2 Green Chillies, ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala, ¼ cup Gram Flour, 1 Tablespoon Coriander, Salt, ½ Teaspoon Ginger
- Take a lime size ball from the mixture and press gently in your palm to make a medium thick patties.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the patties on medium heat flipping once or twice for even browning.5-6 Tablespoons Oil
- Remove them from pan and drain over kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
To prepare gravy/curry sauce
- In a saucepan heat 2 tablespoon oil over medium high.2 + 1 Tablespoon Oil
- When hot, add onions, stir and fry for 2 -3 minutes or until soft and translucent.2 medium size Onion
- Now add garlic, ginger, cashews, almonds, melon seeds, cassia, cardamom, cloves, star aniseed, bay leaf, sauté for a minute.½ Teaspoon Ginger, 2 inch Ginger, ¼ cup Cashews, 1 Tablespoon Almonds, 1 Tablespoon Melon Seeds, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 inch Cassia / Dalchini, 3 Cardamom, 4 Cloves, 1 Star Anise, 2-3 cloves Garlic
- Then add chopped tomatoes, sauté it and simmer for 4-5 minutes.1 large Tomato
- Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature and blend it to a smooth sauce.
- In the same sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium flame.
- Add the blended onion tomato sauce, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, cumin powder and salt.1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder, ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder, ½ Teaspoon Garam Masala, ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder, ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder, Salt
- Stir well so that all the spices blends well with the sauce.
- Now cut the heat to lowest setting, add 2 cups water, moisture squeezed out from bottle gourd, stir, put the lid on and simmer for 10 -15 minutes or until it reaches desired consistency.
- Drop fried dumplings gently one by one into the curry sauce.
- Adjust the dumplings in curry sauce so that they are almost submerged, simmer for couple of minutes, add coriander leaves and turn off the heat.Handful Coriander
- Serve healthy and creamy kofta curry with roti, chapathi or rice.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this lauki kofta curry. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly healthy and fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more