Aloo Gobi - classic side-dish made with potato, cauliflower and basic spices. Vegan, glutenfree, one-pot super simple Indian potato side dish gets ready in under 30 minutes. Serve it as a side dish with chapati, naan or any flatbread or to accompany with rice and dal.
As always, you will find the full ingredients list with measurements and detailed recipe instructions in a separate recipe box. To bypass the text section choose “SCROLL TO RECIPE” or “PRINT RECIPE” or click the “SCROLL TO VIDEO” option to watch the full video of this recipe. All options are located at the beginning of the post.
Aloo Gobi Recipe Variations
To make aloo gobi matar, follow the same steps, add thawed frozen peas at the end, simmer for a couple of minutes and then turn the heat off.
You can swap amchur powder (dry mango powder) for lemon juice. Add it along with turmeric and chilli powder.
How to serve Aloo gobi?
Potato cauliflower stir fry goes well with roti, naan, chapati or any flatbread.
Watch how to make Aloo Gobi
If you enjoy watching my videos, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon, so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Vegetables: potato, cauliflower, onion, tomato, ginger, coriander, green chilli.
Dry and Whole Spices: Cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, kasoori methi (dry fenugreek).
Liquid: Oil, water and dash of lemon juice.
1. Heat oil in kadai, once hot saute cumin followed by green chillies and ginger.
2. saute onions until they start to turn brown.
3. Add tomato followed by turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt.
4. Add water and cook for 5 minutes until oil specs form on top of the onion-tomato masala.
5. Add potato, cauliflower, water, mix well. Close kadai with lid and cook on medium-low heat until vegetables are soft and fork-tender.
6. Finally add garam masala, coriander, lemon juice and mix gently.
Soak chopped potatoes in water to prevent them from discolouring.
Adjust spices to your taste.
You can swap amchoor powder (dry mango powder) for lemon juice.
A dash of lemon juice enhances the flavour of potato cauliflower stir fry. You can add more juice to infuse extra tang to your dish.
Do not add more water as this is a dry dish. Just ¼-1/3 cup water is sufficient to cook the vegetables.
Cook potato and cauliflower on medium-low flame until moisture is completely absorbed and vegetables are cooked until fork tender.
More Side Dish Recipes:
1 cup =250ml ; 1 tbsp =15 ml ; 1 tsp =5ml
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 tsp/ ½ inch Ginger chopped
- ½ cup/ 73 gms/ 1 small Onion chopped
- ¼ cup/ 38 gms/ 1 small Tomato chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder adjust to taste
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt as required
- 2.5 cups/ 295 gms Cauliflower cut into florets
- 1.5 cups/ 247 gms Potato peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- ½ cup + ¼ cup Water adjust as required
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crushed
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice adjust to suit your taste
- Coriander leaves handful
- Peel, cut potato into cubes, soak them in a bowl of water to prevent discolouring.
- Prep the rest of the vegetables and keep everything ready on the counter.
- In a kadai or pan, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin and let it splutter for few seconds.
- Now add green chilli, ginger and saute for few seconds.
- Add onion, slightly increase the heat and saute for 3-4 minutes until onions starts to turn brown.
- Now add tomato followed by turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and saute well.
- Add ½ cup water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until onion-tomato masala thickens and oil specs are formed on top layer.
- Drain water from potatoes and add them along with cauliflower florets.
- Add ¼ cup water, close the kadai with lid, reduce the heat and cook 10 minutes until fork tender. Stir veggies in between once or twice.
- Take the lid off the pan, add kasoori methi, lemon juice, coriander and gently mix.
- Enjoy piping hot aloo gobi with flatbread or with any flavoured rice of your choice.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this simple potato side dish. I love to get feedback from readers.