Aloo Gobi - a classic side dish made with potato, cauliflower and basic spices. Vegan, gluten-free, one-pot super simple Indian potato side dish gets ready in under 30 minutes. Serve this cauliflower potato curry as a side dish with chapati, naan or any flatbread or accompany it with rice and dal.
This potato and cauliflower stir fry is one of the most common dishes made in Indian households. This is one of the simplest and easiest dishes made with basic spices and a delicious combination of potato and cauliflower. A dash of lemon juice adds a slight tang and enhances the flavour of this simple Indian side dish. It is one such versatile dish that suits most menus - quick vegan midweek meals, special occasions such as get-togethers, weddings, and packed lunches.
Looking for more cauliflower recipes? Then you have got to check gobi 65 or delicious restaurant-style gobi starters such as honey garlic cauliflower, orange cauliflower and gobi manchurian on the blog.
Potato is a versatile vegetable that comes in handy to make a spicy south Indian appetiser aloo 65, simple Indian side dishes such as jeera aloo, potato mushroom curry and Bombay aloo or classic baked potato dishes such as roasted baby potatoes and potato wedges.
Aloo Gobi Recipe Variations
To make aloo gobi matar, follow the same steps, add thawed frozen peas at the end, simmer for a couple of minutes and then turn the heat off.
You can swap amchur powder (dry mango powder) for lemon juice. Add it along with turmeric and chilli powder.
Curry leaves make a great addition and it imparts a lovely flavour and aroma.
Add garlic for extra flavour.
How to serve aloo gobi?
Potato cauliflower stir fry goes well with roti, naan, chapati or any flatbread.
Serve this simple potato side dish as a part of a hearty and comforting meal - rice, dal, rasam, spicy ginger chutney, kosambari and papad.
Aloo gobi masala goes well with flavoured rice such as carrot rice, jeera rice, coconut rice, vegetable masala rice or lemon rice.
Vegetables: potato, cauliflower, onion, tomatoes, ginger, coriander leaves, green chilli.
Dry and Whole Spices: Cumin, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
Liquid: Oil, water and dash of lemon juice.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make aloo gobi?
1. Heat oil in kadai, once the oil is hot add a teaspoon cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds and then add green chili and ginger.
2. Add onions and saute until they start to turn brown.
3. Add tomato followed by turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
4. Add water and cook for 5 minutes until oil specs form on top of the onion-tomato masala.
5. Add potato cubes, cauliflower florets, water and mix well. Close kadai with a lid and cook covered on medium-low heat until vegetables are soft and fork-tender.
6. Finally add half teaspoon garam masala, coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix gently.
Serve delicious aloo gobi masala with flavoured rice or any flatbread of your choice.
Soak chopped potatoes in water to prevent them from discolouring.
Adjust spices to your taste.
A dash of lemon juice enhances the flavour of potato cauliflower stir fry. You can add more juice to infuse extra tang to your dish.
Do not add more water as this is a dry dish. Just ¼-⅓ cup of water is sufficient to cook the vegetables.
Cook potato and cauliflower on medium-low flame until moisture is completely absorbed and vegetables are cooked until fork tender.
Fridge: Store the leftover aloo gobi in the fridge for up to 2-3 days in a clean airtight container in the fridge.
Reheat: Heat it in a microwave until piping hot. Alternatively, reheat it in a pan/skillet on a stovetop.
Freezer: Freeze it if there is a huge amount of leftovers. Divide it into required portions in freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags and store them in the freezer.
More Side Dishes
📖 Recipe Card
1 Cup =250ml ; 1 Tablespoon =15 ml ; 1 Teaspoon =5ml
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 Teaspoon (or) ½ inch Ginger peeled and chopped
- ½ cup (or) 73 gms (or) 1 small Onion peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup (or) 38 gms (or) 1 small Tomato chopped
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder adjust to taste
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt as required
- 2.5 cups (or) 295 gms Cauliflower cut into florets
- 1.5 cups(or) 247 gms Potato peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- ½ cup + ¼ cup Water adjust as required
- 1 Teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice adjust to suit your taste
- handful Coriander leaves chopped
- Peel, cut potato into cubes, soak them in a bowl of water to prevent discolouring.1.5 cups(or) 247 gms Potato
- Prep the rest of the vegetables and keep everything ready on the counter.
- In a kadai or pan, heat oil over medium-low heat.3 Tablespoon Oil
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin and let it splutter for few seconds.1 Teaspoon Cumin
- Now add green chilli, ginger and saute for few seconds.1 Green Chilli, 1 Teaspoon (or) ½ inch Ginger
- Add onion, slightly increase the heat and saute for 3-4 minutes until onions starts to turn brown.½ cup (or) 73 gms (or) 1 small Onion
- Now add tomato followed by turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and saute well.¼ cup (or) 38 gms (or) 1 small Tomato, ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric, 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder, ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder, Salt
- Add ½ cup water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until onion-tomato masala thickens and oil specs are formed on top layer.½ cup + ¼ cup Water
- Drain water from potatoes and add them along with cauliflower florets.2.5 cups (or) 295 gms Cauliflower, 1.5 cups(or) 247 gms Potato
- Add ¼ cup water, close the kadai with lid, reduce the heat and cook 10 minutes until fork tender. Stir veggies in between once or twice.½ cup + ¼ cup Water
- Take the lid off the pan, add kasoori methi, lemon juice, coriander and gently mix.1 Teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, handful Coriander leaves
- Enjoy piping hot aloo gobi with flatbread or with any flavoured rice of your choice.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this vegan side dish aloo gobi. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly healthy and fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more
Good morning, is the green chili a jalapeño? I never know when recipes call fo red chili peppers and green. Thanks
Both are from the same family and you can swap jalapeno for green chillies in any recipe. The only difference is that jalapenos are significantly hotter than green chillies. So you may have to adjust the quantity to suit your taste. Again, red and green chilli peppers have a varying degree of heat and pungency. Hope this helps.
This is such an easy and quick dish. I made it yesterday and turned out super tasty. Everyone loved it. Cauliflower was softer than I prefer so next time I will cut down the cooking time.
Thank you for your feedback Nanditha. I'm pleased to know you all enjoyed the dish.