Kashayam or kashaya is an ayurvedic beverage that keeps body warm and healthy during winter. It is an excellent hot drink to soothe cold and flu. This aromatic, sweet and spiced ayurvedic drink with mild heat from peppercorns is all time favourite for people from coastal Karnataka.
Health benefits of Kashayam
Kashayam is an ancient form of medicine that has been used as remedy for cold, cough, sore throat, indigestion and generally to boost immunity. Every ingredient used in this recipe has a health benefits. Peppercorns relieve from extreme sore throat and clog nose. Ginger helps to get rid of indigestion and boost immunity.
Is Kashayam recipe adaptable?
Yes this recipe is totally adaptable. Feel free to vary the quantities of one or two ingredients based on your requirement. You could swap fresh ginger for dries ones. Add crushed fresh ginger while brewing kashayam. You could swap coconut sugar for jaggery. For vegan version, just brew water with spice mix and jaggery.
There are different versions of kashayam, that are used as home remedy for various health conditions.
Watch how to make Kashayam with homemade kashayam powder:
If you enjoy watching my videos, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon, so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tablespoon = 15ml
For kashaya powder
Coriander seeds: ½ cup
Cumin: ¼ cup
Black peppercorn: 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds: ¼ cup
Cloves: 2 tsp
Cardamom: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: 2 tsp
Dried ginger: 2 inches
For 1 cup kashaya / kashayam
Water: 1 cup
Milk: 2 tbsp
Kashaya powder: 1 tsp
Jaggery: 1 tbsp
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds on low heat until fragrant.
Now add cloves, cardamom. Roast on low flame for couple of minutes, turn off the flame and allow them to cool.
Crush dry ginger in a mortar and pestle.
Transfer roasted spices and crushed ginger into a blender.
Finally add turmeric powder and grind them to a powder.
Store kashaya powder in an air tight container.
In a pan bring water to boil.
Add kashaya powder and jaggery, let it boil for couple of minute.
Add milk and brew it for a minute and turn off the heat.
Strain and enjoy mildly spiced kashaya while it's still hot.
Adjust milk as per your preference.
Jaggery powder could be substituted with sugar.
Allow the ground powder to cool down completely before storing in an air tight container.
Above measurements for kashayam powder yields about 25 cups of kashayam.
You could substitute dried ginger with fresh ginger. Add crushed fresh ginger while brewing kashayam.
Check out more delicious drinks to enjoy in winter:
Kashaya/ Kashayam Powder (Ayurvedic beverage Mix)
Gluten free, Nut free
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tablespoon = 15ml
For Kashaya Powder
- ½ cup Coriander Seeds
- ¼ cup Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorn
- ¼ cup Fennel Seeds
- 2 inch Dried Ginger
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoon Cloves
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom
For 1 cup Kashaya/ Kashayam
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground powder
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery powder
- Dry roast ½ coriander seeds, ¼ cup cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, ¼ cup fennel seeds on low flame until fragrant.
- Now add 2 tablespoon cloves, 2 tablespoon cardamom. Roast on low flame for couple of minutes, turn off the flame and allow them to cool.
- Crush dry ginger in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the roasted ingredients, crushed ginger and turmeric powder into a blender.
- Now grind all the ingredients to a powder and store it in an air tight container.
- In a pan bring water to boil.
- Add kashaya powder and jaggery, let it boil for couple of minute.
- Add milk and brew it for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Strain and enjoy mildly spiced kashaya while its still hot.
Save later for Pinterest.
If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment, rate it, pin it for later or share it. It means a lot to me. Thanks!!