Vegetable Masala rice is an easy and quick one-pot dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes. This is a super delicious and healthy dish perfect for a weeknight dinner or for lunchbox.
How to make perfect Vegetable Masala Rice
Water to rice ratio plays an important role to make perfect rice. You can use any rice such as basmati, long-grain, easy cook, brown, red rice, sona masoori or ponni but make sure to follow cooking instructions on the pack. Cooking time and water to rice ratio varies with different varieties and quality of rice. Some rice varieties may require more water to cook without soaking than the rice that has been soaked for 15-20 minutes. Cooking with or without soaking rice is the one more deciding factor of cooking time and the water to rice ratio. I’ve used basmati rice in this recipe. 1.5 cups of water have been used for 1 cup of rice as I haven’t soaked the rice.
Watch how to make Masala Rice
If you enjoy watching my videos, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon, so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
What to serve with Masala Rice
Vegetable Masala Rice recipe variations
This delicious one-pot rice can be customised to suit your taste preference. You could add any leftover vegetables or seasonal vegetables that get cooked at the same time as the rice. Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, fenugreek makes a great addition too. Hard vegetables such as cauliflower, parsnips can be used in this recipe but always use parboiled to ensure these vegetables are well-cooked along with other vegetables and rice.
A small can of coconut milk adds a rich and exotic flavour to the dish. Substitute coconut milk for about half the water. You can make a batch of masala and store it to use next time. Having a pre-made masala handy saves your time as well.
For Masala: coriander seeds, cloves, cassia, star aniseed, nutmeg, mace.
Vegetables: onion, tomato, ginger-garlic paste, coriander, carrot, beans, green peas, potato.
Whole spices: bay leaf, cumin
Dry spices: turmeric, chilli powder, salt
Liquids: oil, water
Dry roast and grind spices.
Saute onion, ginger-garlic paste until soft.
Cook vegetables, spices for 2-3 minutes.
Cook rice and vegetables with water.
Piping hot vegetable rice ready to enjoy!
Adjust spices as per your taste preference.
Mix rice gently after adding water to ensure rice grains do not break.
Cooking time may vary depending on the type of burner you use and also on the type of rice. Rice soaked in water for 10-15 minutes cooks in less time than the rice that is not soaked.
Nutmeg and mace have a very strong aroma and taste, just a little is enough to flavour the rice.
You may make a batch of masala and store it in an airtight container. Ground masala keeps good for a maximum of 3 months when stored in the fridge/freezer, later it tends to lose its aroma.
More flavourful rice recipes:
Vegetable Masala Rice
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tbsp = 15ml
Vegan, Gluten free
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 cup (135 gms) Onion 1 large, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup (110 gms) Tomatoes 1 large, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (97 gms) Carrot 1 medium, diced
- 1/3 cup (62 gms) Beans 10, slice 1 inch long
- 1/2 cup (70 gms) Green peas frozen, thawed
- 1 cup (131 gms) Potato 1 medium, diced
- Coriander handful
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- Salt as required
- 1 cup (215 gms) Rice
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 inch Cassia
- 4 Cloves
- small piece Nutmeg 2 peppercorns size
- 2 small blades Mace
- 2 petals Star Aniseed
- Wash rice 2-3 times with cold water and keep it aside.
- In a small pan, on medium-low flame dry roast cassia, coriander seeds, star aniseed petals, cloves, mace blades, nutmeg piece for few seconds just until the spices are fragrant.
- Turn off the heat. Allow spices to cool down completely and grind to a powder in a spice grinder or coffee grinder.
- In a stainless steel cooking pot or skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, stir and let cumin splutter.
- Now add onions, ginger-garlic paste and saute for a couple of minutes or until onions turn soft.
- Now add tomatoes, carrot, beans, green peas, potato, salt, chilli powder, turmeric, ground masala. Saute and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, water, coriander, mix gently and bring it to boil. Cook on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting, close the pot with the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, let it stand for 5 minutes and then open the lid.
- Enjoy piping hot delicious Vegetable Masala Rice with raita and salad.
Few side dishes to serve with masala rice
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this simple and flavourful Vegetable Rice recipe. I love to get feedback from readers.