Cucumber Kosambari, A low-calorie and healthy cucumber salad made with cucumber and moong dal. This delicious salad is usually prepared on special occasions and festivals. Kosambari is an easy and quick typical South Indian salad prepared using soaked split green gram, cucumber, green chillies, lemon juice and seasoned with mustard seeds, curry leaves. A traditional North Karnataka festive thali is incomplete without kosambari.
Quick and easy healthy cucumber salad recipe with step by step photos and video.
Split Green Gram/ Moongdal: 1 cup
Cucumber: 1/3 cup, finely chopped
Coconut: 1/4 cup (fresh/frozen), grated
Green Chilli: 1, chopped
Lemon Juice: 1/2 lime
Coriander Leaves: 2 tbsp, chopped
Salt: as required
Oil: 2 tsp
Mustard: 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves: Few
Red Chilli: 1, broken
Wash and soak moongdal in warm water for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes drain the water off the dal and transfer it to a bowl, add cucumber, 1/2 chopped green chilli, lemon juice, grated coconut, coriander leaves, salt.
Mix until well combined.
For seasoning heatoil in a pan, add mustard seeds, red chilli and curry leaves, remove from heat and add it to prepared kosambari.
Healthy and tasty Kosambari is ready to serve.
If you prefer to serve kosambari later on then add salt just before serving to make sure kosambari remains crunchy.
Add/Reduce chillies as per your preferred spice levels.
Gluten free, Nut free, Vegan
1 cup = 240ml
- 1 cup Split green gram/ Moong dal
- 1/3 cup Cucumber finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Coconut (frozen/fresh) grated
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 lime Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- As required Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 Dry Red Chilli broken
- Wash and soak moongdal in warm water for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes drain the water off the dal and transfer it to a bowl, add cucumber, 1/2 chopped green chilli, lemon juice, grated coconut, coriander leaves, salt.
- Mix until well combined.
- Healthy and tasty Kosambari is ready to serve.
Save later for Pinterest
If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment, rate it, pin it for later or share it. It means a lot to me. Thanks!!