Carrot Corn Cheese Sandwich - packed with colourful veggies and gooey cheese, this wholesome dish is a tasty way to sneak in those essential nutrients. It's the perfect addition to your child's lunchbox or a quick after-school snack.
This is a filling and nutritious dish and an ideal recipe to make with kids. Easy to make with basic ingredients and even easier to enjoy.
The toast's crunchiness and the vegetable filling's creaminess make this sandwich irresistibly delicious and entice kids to eat it without any fuss. Involving kids in cooking allows them to learn kitchen skills and try different vegetables they normally wouldn't eat.
These grilled sandwiches are a great way to incorporate veggies into a kid’s meal, and they can be tailored with different types of cheese, vegetables or additional ingredients to make it appealing to kids!
Sandwiches are a versatile option that allows kids to play around and choose their desired filling.
- Vegetables: Fresh carrot and frozen corn.
- Herbs and Seasoning: Italian mixed herbs, salt, black pepper, garlic granules
- Cheese and other Ingredients: Grated cheddar cheese, butter and mayonnaise. We have used eggless mayonnaise.
- Bread: We have used wholemeal bread. Feel free to use any bread that your kids choose.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make a carrot corn cheese sandwich?
In a mixing bowl, combine the thawed corn, grated carrot, mayonnaise and grated cheese.
Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix everything well.
Take two slices of bread and spread butter on one side of each slice.
Divide the corn, carrot, and cheese mixture between the two slices, spreading it evenly.
Place the remaining two slices of bread on top to create sandwiches.
Heat sandwich press over medium heat.
Place the sandwiches in the sandwich press and cook until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese melts, usually for about 3-4 minutes.
Once both sides are crispy and the cheese is melted, remove the sandwiches from the heat.
Let them cool for a minute or two, then slice them at the centre or diagonally or as desired.
Serve a grilled sweet corn sandwich with any side of your kid's choice.
Substitutions and Variations
Bread Variations: While we choose whole grain bread you could use multigrain bread for added nutrition and a nuttier taste. Alternatively, go for a baguette or ciabatta roll for a different texture instead of regular sliced bread.
Veggie Substitutions: Add cooked peas, finely chopped broccoli or finely diced bell peppers to the mixture for added colour and nutrients.
Fresh Herbs: Use fresh herbs like parsley, basil, or coriander for a burst of fresh flavour and a pop of vibrant green colour.
Protein Boost: Mix in some boiled chickpeas or black eyed peas (mashed or whole) to enhance protein content.
Sauce or Spread: Spread a thin layer of pesto, cream cheese or hummus on the bread for flavour variation.
Vegan Option: Choose plant based butter and mayonnaise.
Tips and Tricks
Grate the Carrots Finely: Use fine grater to grate the carrots finely to ensure they blend well with the other ingredients without leaving large chunks that might not be appealing to kids.
Mixing the Filling Well: Make sure to mix the corn, mayonnaise, grated carrots, and cheese thoroughly. This helps in distributing the flavours evenly throughout the sandwich.
Cheese Selection: Choose a cheese that melts well, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or a blend of such cheese. This ensures a gooey, creamy texture in the sandwich.
Even Filling Distribution: Spread the filling evenly across the bread slices. This helps in uniform cooking and ensures that each bite contains a balanced mix of ingredients.
Rest Before Cutting: Allow the cheese corn sandwich to rest for a minute after removing it from the sandwich maker. This helps the cheese to settle a bit, making it easier to cut without the filling spilling out.
Lightly butter both the outer sides of the bread or brush them with olive oil and then place the sandwich on a skillet. Toast the sandwich over medium heat. Cover it with a lid while cooking to trap heat and help melt the cheese faster.
Note: Too high heat might burn the bread before the cheese melts entirely.
Of course, fresh corn kernels could be used. But it has to be first boiled before combining with other ingredients.
You can use leftovers as long as kids are not fussy about texture and flavour change. Ensure to mash or chop them finely. This is a great way to use up leftovers such as maple roast carrots, instant pot carrots and potatoes, air fryer carrots or masala corn.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you try this kid friendly carrot corn cheese sandwich recipe. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
More Recipe Ideas to Cook with Kids
Bread Pizza: A quick kid-friendly snack that is sure to entice even the pickiest eaters.
Chocolate Fruit and Nut Clusters: It is simple to make and is a delightful combination of chocolate, dried fruits, and nuts.
Date Snickers: Decadent bite-size sweet treat made with just 4 ingredients. A spin on the popular snicker bars but healthier and individual-size treats.
Pasta with Carrot Sauce: A mildly sweet and flavourful dish that makes a great meal for kids.
Chickpea Veggie Patties - vegan, nut-free and protein-rich round patties made with colourful vegetables, chickpeas, a blend of spices and fresh herbs.
Sweet Potato Patties: mildly spiced and slightly sweet patties with crispy outer and soft melt-in-mouth texture inside is a nutritious dish made with mashed sweet potato, peanuts and a few spices.
Tortilla Apple Wraps: It's perfect to make together with kids and ideal for lunchboxes or after-school snacks.
📖 Recipe Card
Carrot Corn Cheese Sandwich
- 1 Sandwich Maker
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 4 slices Wholemeal Bread
- 1.5 Tablespoons Butter adjust as per requirement
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise adjust to taste
- ⅓ Cup Frozen Corn thawed
- ⅔ Cup Carrot washed, peeled and grated
- Black Pepper Powder as required
- Salt as required
- ½ Teaspoon Italian Mixed Herbs
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Granules optional
- ⅓ Cup Cheddar Cheese grated,
- In a mixing bowl, combine the thawed corn, grated carrot, garlic, mayonnaise and grated cheese.3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise, ⅓ Cup Frozen Corn, ⅔ Cup Carrot, ⅓ Cup Cheddar Cheese, ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Mix everything well.Black Pepper Powder, Salt, ½ Teaspoon Italian Mixed Herbs
- Take two slices of bread and spread butter on one side of each slice.1.5 Tablespoons Butter, 4 slices Wholemeal Bread
- Divide the corn, carrot, and cheese mixture between the two slices, spreading it evenly.
- Place the remaining two slices of bread on top to create sandwiches.
- Heat sandwich press over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the sandwich press and cook until the bread turns golden brown and the cheese melts, usually for about 3-4 minutes.
- Once both sides are crispy and the cheese is melted, remove the sandwiches from the heat.
- Let them cool for a minute or two, then slice them diagonally or as desired.
- Serve a grilled sweet corn sandwich with any side of your kid's choice.
Looking for other recipes to make with kids? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with corn cheese sandwich:
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more