Masala Corn is a flavourful street-side spicy snack prepared with sweet corn, lemon juice, fresh herbs and a few Indian spices. It is one of the quick and easy sweet corn recipes to prepare with simple ingredients available in most Indian grocery stores. It gets ready in 10 minutes and makes the best healthy snack option for kids after-school and tea-time snacks for adults.
Generally, masala corn is prepared with fresh corn kernels from the cob. However, to save time I've used frozen corn here that doesn't need to be boiled and it takes a few minutes to thaw as well.
This spicy corn makes a perfect after-school healthy snack for kids. It is a very popular snack sold in a cinema theatre, shopping malls and vendors selling on the roadside.
Masala Corn Recipe Variations
Spicy and tangy masala corn recipe may be tailored to suit your tastebuds.
Add finely chopped green chillies or black pepper powder for a spicy kick.
Substitute butter with olive oil for vegan butter or the vegan version.
Black salt could be used instead of chaat masala.
Sweet corn: I have used frozen sweet corn kernels, but feel free to use freshly boiled corn.
Spices and Herbs: chat masala, fresh coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder, salt and red chilli powder.
Lime Juice: I have used fresh lime juice, but bottled juice can be used as well.
Butter: Melted butter has been used here.
How to make masala sweet corn?
Place frozen sweet corn in water to thaw.
Discard the water once the corn is fully thawed.
Now place sweet corn in a mixing bowl.
Add red chilli powder, chaat masala, cumin powder, salt and coriander leaves.
Now add butter and squeeze lime juice.
Mix with a spoon until well combined.
Enjoy spicy masala corn with a cup of tea or on its own.
Adjust spice powders as per your preferred spice levels.
Spicy corn tastes best when served warm.
Frozen corn could be substituted with fresh corn. Boil fresh corn in sufficient water for 5-7 minutes or until soft, discard the water and use the cooked corn.
You can make this recipe in advance, heat in a microwave for a minute before serving.
How to serve masala corn?
An ideal evening snack to munch on instead of deep-fried treats.
Leftovers could be stored and eaten but don't taste as good as freshly made masala corn.
Fridge: Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 - 4 days in an airtight container.
Reheat: Heat in the microwave until piping hot or on a pan before serving.
How to use up leftover masala corn?
Not interested to store and eat it the next day? There are various creative ways to repurpose leftover sweet corn into a delicious dish.
- Leftovers can be transformed into spicy sweet corn chaat. Put the masala sweet corn in a deep-bottomed bowl. Stir in chopped onion, tomato and the sev, Chopped cucumber and carrot makes a healthy addition. For extra tang squeeze a few drops of lemon juice and add a handful of chopped coriander. For spicy corn chaat, add the required amount of finely chopped green chilies as per your preferred spice level.
- Use it up in veggie wraps, vegetable quesadilla, bread pizza or naan bread pizza.
- Mix it in the chana chaat, bhel puri, as a topping in dahi papdi chaat and masala papad.
More Healthy Snack Recipes
📖 Recipe Card
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Spoon
1 Cup = 250ml; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn frozen
- Salt as required
- ½ Teaspoon Chat Masala
- ½ Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ Tablespoon Coriander finely chopped
- ½ lime Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Butter melted
- Thaw frozen sweetcorn as per instructions on the packet.1 Cup Sweet Corn
- Heat sweetcorn kernels in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
- Transfer kernels to a bowl. Add chat masala, chili powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander, salt and butter.Salt, ½ Teaspoon Chat Masala, ½ Teaspoon Chilli Powder, ½ Teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder, 1 Tablespoon Butter, ½ Tablespoon Coriander
- Now squeeze juice of half lime½ lime Lemon Juice
- Mix until well combined.
- Enjoy warm spicy masala corn.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this simple and quick spicy corn recipe.
If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?