Chocolate baked oats are a hearty and indulgent dish perfect for breakfast. It is a naturally vegan breakfast recipe with gluten-free and nut-free options.
The best part of this insanely delicious, sweet breakfast is that it offers a balance between healthy and indulgent. It's a great way to switch up the morning routine to a healthy breakfast.
This baked dish is not only appeals to adults but kids as well. This is a great way to incorporate healthy ingredients in the form of dessert for breakfast.
Why will you love these chocolate baked oats?
Easy to make: this is one of the easiest recipes to make with just one bowl and a baking tray.
Meal prep: it's a perfect dish to make ahead of time to enjoy on busy mornings.
Vegan: It is naturally vegan.
Gluten-free and nut-free: It can be easily made gluten-free and nut-free by using certified gluten-free oats and omitting the nuts.
Healthy: A healthy yet decadent breakfast to kick start the new day.
- Oats: I use rolled oats for its lovely texture. Porridge oats can be used as well.
- Milk: I have used oats milk but feel free to use any milk of your choice.
- Flavouring Agent: Vanilla extract to impart a lovely flavour.
- Sweetener: Maple syrup has been used here. Any sweetener that you have on hand can be used.
- Nuts: Walnuts add a nice crunch to the baked oats.
- Chocolate: I have used unsweetened cocoa powder and vegan milk chocolate chips. Feel free to use dark chocolate chips for intense flavour.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
Grease a baking pan with oil or line it with parchment paper.
To make a flax egg, place the flax meal in a small bowl, add the water and mix until well combined.
Keep it aside for 5-10 minutes until the flax meal absorbs the water and gets slimy.
In a bowl, combine the oats, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and walnuts.
Now add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, flax egg and stir until well combined.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan.
Finally, add the chocolate chips on top.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is baked well.
Carefully take the pan out of the oven and keep it on a wire rack to let it cool down.
Cut the baked oats into squares.
Enjoy the decadent chocolate chip baked oats.
Substitutions and Variations
Sweetener: Any sweetener of your choice instead of maple syrup.
Flax egg: It can be substituted with chia egg.
Milk: Any plant-based milk or dairy milk could be used instead of oats milk. However, the recipe won't be vegan if you use dairy milk.
Chocolate: If you don't have cocoa powder in hand, use cooking chocolate. Break the chocolate roughly, place them in a microwave-safe container, add a little milk and heat in the microwave just until the chocolate melts. Stir the melted chocolate mixture into the oats. Ensure to use vegan chocolate!
Gluten-free: For gluten-free baked oats, use certified gluten-free oats.
Nut-free: For a nut-free oats breakfast, leave out the walnuts.
Fridge: This chocolate baked oats keep well for 3 days in the fridge if stored properly in an airtight container.
Freezer: Consider the freezing option for longer shelf life. Cut the baked oatmeal into desired portions, wrap each portion in parchment paper or a baking sheet, put them in an airtight container and pop them in the freezer.
Reheat: Whenever you want to eat, take out a portion from the freezer, thaw it completely in the fridge and reheat it in the microwave until warm.
Serve it as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips and Tricks
Keep an eye while baking as the baking time may vary depending on the type and settings of the oven you use.
First, combine the dry ingredients and then stir in the wet ingredients. Otherwise, the cocoa powder doesn't mix well and may form lumps.
A pinch of salt enhances the flavour of the baked oats. So, try not to skip it.
More Oats Recipes
Rolled oats are a perfect choice. The porridge oats can be used as well but not the steel cut oats.
If a toothpick or a knife is inserted and comes out clean, then the oats are cooked well.
If you are not a fan of freezer food or don't want to eat the same breakfast for the next few days. Then repurposing it into an entirely new dish is the option to use it up.
Try adding it to the yogurt granola parfait. Break the baked oats roughly and layer them along with granola, yogurt and fruits.
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this simple and easy chocolate baked oats recipe. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
Chocolate Baked Oats
- Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Small Bowl
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 95 gms (or) 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 15 gms (or) 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 24 gms (or) ⅙ Cup Walnuts
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Salt as required
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Oats Milk
- 27 gms (or) 1.5 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
- 1 Teaspoon Flaxmeal
- 2 Teaspoons Water
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Grease a baking pan with oil or line it with parchment paper.
- To make a flax egg, place the flax meal in a small bowl, add the water and mix until well combined.1 Teaspoon Flaxmeal, 2 Teaspoons Water
- Keep it aside for 5 minutes until the flax meal absorbs the water and gets slimy.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and walnuts.95 gms (or) 1 Cup Rolled Oats, 15 gms (or) 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, 24 gms (or) ⅙ Cup Walnuts, ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder, Salt
- Now add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, flax egg and stir until well combined.¼ Cup Maple Syrup, 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract, ¾ Cup Oats Milk, 1 Teaspoon Flaxmeal, 2 Teaspoons Water
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips on top.27 gms (or) 1.5 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is baked well.
- Carefully take the pan out of the oven and keep it on a wire rack to let it cool down.
- Cut the baked oats into squares or desired shapes.
- Enjoy the decadent chocolate chip baked oats.