Cinnamon rolls are the flaky sweet treat to indulge as a dessert after a meal, after school snack or a simple breakfast. Air fryer cinnamon rolls are a perfect treat for kids to cook with minimal help from adults.
Craving cinnamon rolls? but don’t have time to make homemade cinnamon roll dough? Then this air fryer cinnamon roll recipe made with puff pastry is a great option to satisfy your sweet tooth. Be it a quick breakfast, an easy treat for the holiday season or to satisfy your cravings. It gets ready in a matter of minutes once you have all the ingredients on hand.
Air fryer is a game changer not only for preparing healthy dishes such as sweet potato wedges, gobi 65, butternut squash, baby carrots, roasted baby potatoes and masala peanut, but an energy-efficient kitchen gadget that’s more convenient to use than a conventional oven and the dishes get ready in less time. This air fryer cinnamon rolls recipe made with puff pastry sheets is an easy recipe that gets ready in 20 mins and requires only 4 simple ingredients. The best part is the puff pastry sheets come ready rolled so you don’t need a rolling pin.
Cooking puff pastry dessert with kids
The air fryer makes the cinnamon rolls recipe a breeze to make with kids. There would be less mess and few dirty dishes to wash. Young kids would love applying butter, sprinkling cinnamon sugar and find it fun to roll the stuffed puff pastry. Cooking with kids is a great opportunity for bonding and making memories.
While cooking with kids sounds lovely, it's important to prioritise kids' safety. Ensure young kids do not handle the air fryer on their own to avoid burning their hands. Do not allow kids to use a sharp knife. Plastic knives specially designed for kids are a great alternative that reduces the chances of bad cuts. Refer safety disclaimer for more details.
Why will you love air fryer cinnamon rolls?
Made with just 4 ingredients
Older kids can make themselves with little help from adults
Gets ready in under 20 mins
Measurements are unnecessary, let your kid play around with ingredients.
- Puff Pastry Sheet: I have used store bought puff pastry sheet. Feel free to make your own puff pastry sheet if you have time.
- Sweetener: I have used brown sugar but feel free to use regular white sugar.
- Butter: Unsalted butter to brush the puff pastry.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon to make a rolls
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make puff pastry cinnamon rolls?
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a clean surface or on a large wooden board.
Apply melted butter all over the pastry sheet.
Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture generously all over the pastry sheet.
Using the back of a spoon or spatula spread the mixture all over uniformly.
Now roll the puff pastry from the short side.
Once you reach the end, seal the dough to prevent the log from unrolling.
Cut the sweet rolls with a knife into equal parts.
Either brush the air fryer basket with butter or cooking spray.
Place the rolls in the basket in a single layer with sufficient space between them.
Brush the top and sides of the rolls with butter and put the basket back, set the timer for 12 minutes and air fry cinnamon rolls at 180 C (350 F).
Once the air fryer beeps, take the basket out and check for doneness.
Golden brown rolls indicate perfectly baked rolls. Put the basket back and air fry undercooked rolls for a few more minutes.
Take the basket out of the air fryer once homemade cinnamon rolls are well cooked.
Let cinnamon rolls sit for a few minutes before taking them out.
Fluffy air fryer cinnamon roll bites are ready to enjoy.
Substitutions and Variations
Substitute brown sugar with white sugar if that’s all you have on hand. It’s unnecessary to make a trip to the grocery stores to buy just sugar.
For the vegan version, use a vegan puff pastry sheet and neutral cooking oil or vegan butter.
Instead of sprinkling cinnamon sugar, you could combine it with softened butter and spread it on a puff pastry sheet.
Try adding chopped nuts - almonds. walnuts or cashews.
A dash of vanilla extract adds a lovely flavour.
A bit of cinnamon dolce syrup intensifies the flavour. Mix it up with
Tips and tricks to make a perfect cinnamon rolls
Leave sufficient spacing between cinnamon rolls in the bottom of the basket of the air fryer. The layers need room to expand as they cook through. Insufficient space results in not rising properly leaving the inner layers uncooked.
Ensure to seal the end of the puff pastry sheet well so the rolls don’t loosen up and lose their shape.
You may have to plan well ahead of time to make this delicious treat if using the frozen puff pastry sheets as it has to be thawed in the fridge overnight. In case you cannot plan ahead but are still willing to use frozen puff pastry, then keep it on the counter for at least 20-25 minutes. Do not unroll when it’s still frozen as it will break. The puff pastry must be soft and still chilled to work out.
For best results, make sure puff pastry sheets are chilled.
Work out quickly before the puff pastry loses its chilliness. The room-temperature puff pastry doesn’t expand and the inner layers remain uncooked.
Cooking time varies depending on the air fryer model and the size of the cinnamon rolls.
Use parchment paper or aluminum foil at the bottom of the air fryer basket to cut down the cleaning.
The number of rolls you can cook in one batch depends on the size of the air fryer basket.
Use as much or as little cinnamon filling as per your personal preference.
Ensure kids don’t handle sharp knife. Adults must use it to cut the rolls.
It's a great snack to pack in kid's snack box.
Fridge: Leftover cinnamon rolls stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored properly in an airtight container at room temperature. Let the sweet rolls cool completely before transferring them into a container.
Reheat: Warm cinnamon rolls in a microwave for a minute on high power or in an air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
Yes, store uncooked cinnamon log in a freezer for up to a month. In fact, it is the best option to prep well ahead of time for a party or any gathering. Either you can store the uncut whole rolled-up log or individual rolls.
Wrap an uncooked tube of cinnamon rolls in multiple layers of plastic wrap or cling film, put it in a container and pop it in the freezer. Thaw it overnight in the fridge, cut the log into equal parts and cook in an air fryer.
Alternatively, wrap individual mini cinnamon rolls in multiple layers, place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours or just until they harden. Take them out of the freezer and transfer them to a container or zip-lock bag and store them in the freezer.
If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 Knife
- 375 gms Puff Pastry Sheet Ready rolled
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar adjust to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon (Cinnamon Powder)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon (Cinnamon Powder)
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a clean surface or on a large wooden board.375 gms Puff Pastry Sheet
- Apply melted butter all over the pastry sheet.1 Tablespoon Butter
- Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture generously all over the pastry sheet.
- Using the back of a spoon or spatula spread the mixture all over uniformly.
- Now roll the puff pastry from the short side.
- Once you reach the end, seal the dough to prevent the log from unrolling.
- Cut the sweet rolls with a knife into equal parts.
- Either brush the air fryer basket with butter or cooking spray.1 Tablespoon Butter
- Place the rolls in the basket in a single layer with sufficient space between them.
- Brush the top and sides of the rolls with butter and put the basket back, set the timer for 12 minutes and air fry cinnamon rolls at 180 C (350 F).
- Once the air fryer beeps, take the basket out and check for doneness.
- Golden brown rolls indicate perfectly baked rolls. Put the basket back and air fry undercooked rolls for a few more minutes.
- Take the basket out of the air fryer once homemade cinnamon rolls are well cooked.
- Let cinnamon rolls sit for a few minutes before taking them out.
- Fluffy air fryer cinnamon roll bites are ready to enjoy.
Looking for more recipes to cook with kids? Try these: