Mini apple turnovers are one of the easiest puff pastry desserts to make with just 5 ingredients. These perfectly baked crispy, flaky outer and sweet, juicy apple inner fillings are amazing bite-sized treats to serve family and friends at a party or on special occasions.
This is one such versatile bite-sized dish that could be enjoyed either cold or hot, as a breakfast or as a dessert. It's a great dish to pack in when travelling. It is one of the easy sweet pastry recipes to make with just a few simple ingredients and a great way to use up the apples when you have them in abundance.
Puff pastry sheets: I use ready-to-use puff pastry sheets to save time.
Apples: I use granny smith apples to get a slightly tart and sweet taste. Gala, pink lady, honey crisp, would also work in this recipe.
Brown Sugar: To make these turnovers healthy, I use brown sugar. Feel free to use any sweetener of your choice.
Cinnamon: It adds a lovely flavour.
Butter: any unsalted butter will work in this recipe.
Milk: I use dairy milk. Feel free to use plant-based milk.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Melt the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Cook for 5-7 minutes or just until the apple softens yet retains its shape. Keep stirring regularly.
Let it cool down completely.
Take the puff pastry sheet from the fridge and keep it on the counter for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
Cut the puff pastry sheet into 5x5 inch squares.
Place a spoonful of the pre-cooked apple mixture in the middle of each pastry square leaving around ½ inch at the edges.
Brush the edges with milk to seal properly.
Fold the pastry sheet diagonally in such a way that it looks like a triangle. Seal the edges and crimp with a fork.
Brush the top of the turnovers with milk and make 2-3 slits.
Arrange the turnovers in a lined baking tray with sufficient spacing between them.
Put the tray in the oven and bake at 200 C (400 F) for 15-20 minutes or until the apple turnovers turn a golden colour.
Take the tray out of the oven and allow turnovers to cool slightly on the cooling rack.
Enjoy delicious mini apple turnovers.
Vegan: Use vegan puff pastry sheets and vegan butter. Replace the dairy milk with plant-based milk.
Spices: Switch flavours for a change. Try using cardamom or nutmeg instead of cinnamon.
Cooked apple turnovers stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container in a fridge.
These turnovers can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Do not thaw frozen turnovers, just bake them for an extra 3-4 minutes.
Tips and tricks
Ensure to chop the apples into small uniform pieces so they cook well.
Seal the edges properly and crimp well to prevent the filling from oozing out while baking.
Put the tray with prepared apple turnovers in the fridge for at least 15 minutes or until you are ready to bake them. This helps puff pastry to cook well and get the layers nice and flaky.
Applying milk on top of turnovers helps to get a nice golden colour. Brushing milk on the edges before enclosing helps to seal the edges properly.
Pre-Cooking the apples helps to remove extra moisture and prevent sweet apple pastries from getting soggy.
Pre-Cooking the apples is an essential step to prevent them from being undercooked as when raw apples are just baked.
Do not forget to make a few slits on top of turnovers as it helps the steam to escape while baking.
Overfilling the apple mixture may make it difficult to fold the pastry sheet without the filling falling out.
More puff pastry treats
📖 Recipe Card
Mini Apple Turnovers with Puff Pastry
1 cup =250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 320 gms Puff Pastry Sheet
- 11 gms (or) 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 medium Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and diced
- 73 gms (or) ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or just until the apple softens yet retains its shape.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Take the puff pastry sheet from the fridge and keep it on counter for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Cut the puff pastry into 6x6 inch squares.
- Place a spoonful of the pre-cooked apple mixture in the middle of each pastry square leaving around ½ inch at the edges.
- Brush the edges with milk to seal properly.
- Fold the pastry sheet diagonally in such a way that it looks like a triangle. Seal the edges and crimp with a fork.
- Brush the top of the turnovers with milk and make 2-3 slits.
- Arrange the turnovers in a lined baking tray with sufficient spacing between them.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the apple turnovers turn a golden colour.
- Take the tray out of the oven and allow turnovers to cool slightly on the cooling rack.
- Enjoy hot and delicious apple turnovers.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make these easy peasy puff pastry apple turnovers. I love hearing from you all. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or in the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online.