Butter Coconut Biscuits – a simple, tasty, crunchy and easy recipe made from pantry ingredients. A delectable coconut butter cookie with coconut flavour, coconut texture and nutty aroma is a delightful treat for coconut lovers. This is one of the super easy crunchy coconut cookie recipes with few ingredients and minimal effort for kids to make.
Generally, the terms biscuit and cookie are used interchangeably for flour-based baked goods that are sweet, flat and crisp. However, in the UK cookies are referred to as baked goods that are a little chunkier, soft and moist. Whereas biscuits are baked goods that are crisp and firm.
These crunchy, crispy, tasty and addictive eggless coconut cookies not only make a great after-school snack but an ideal option for adults to have with Masala Chai. If you like anything coconut then you are bound to love these irresistible cookies. In fact, chai and these biscuits are the classic combinations served in roadside tea stalls. If you are a coconut lover then you are bound to love these irresistible coconut biscuits.
Coconut Butter Cookies Recipe Variations
A pinch of cardamom infuses a warm and lovely flavour to the atta biscuits.
You may add a little vanilla extract to add a nice flavour and aroma.
Chocolate chips make a good addition to the coconut biscuit recipe, it would be eye-appealing for kids.
For the vegan version, substitute milk with coconut milk and butter with vegan butter/ coconut oil. However, you may have to use a little more or less milk to make dough depending on the type of butter or oil you use.
Can we freeze these eggless coconut cookies?
Yes, you can. Once the cookies are completely cooled down, arrange them in a baking tray ensure they don't touch each other. Keep the tray in the freezer for 2-3 hours until cookies are frozen solid. Take out the tray, wrap each cookie tightly in a plastic wrap, transfer to an airtight container or bags and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw cookies, take them out of the freezer and let sit on the counter at room temperature. You can gently reheat thawed cookies to retain the taste and texture.
Dry Ingredients: Wheat flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and desiccated coconut.
Wet Ingredients: Milk and butter.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make eggless coconut biscuits?
1. In a mixing bowl, sift wheat flour, baking powder. Add salt and mix well.
2. In a second large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
3. Add desiccated coconut, flour.
4. Continue to mix until crumbly.
5 & 6. Now add little milk and combine the mixture into a dough. Rest the soft dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Transfer the dough balls to a silicone mat and cover it with parchment paper.
7. Roll out cookie dough gently with a rolling pin. Sprinkle desiccated coconut on top.
8. Cut into round or any desired shapes with a cookie cutter.
9 & 10. Transfer the eggless coconut cookies to the parchment-lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for 15 minutes or until they turn pale golden brown.
Take the tray out of the oven and place it on the wire rack, and let crunchy coconut cookies to cool down.
Serve crispy and delicious butter coconut biscuits to your kids with milk or any drinks of their choice.
Tips and Tricks
It is essential to use butter that is softened to room temperature. With softened butter, the fat can be easily creamed together with sugar and also helps butter coconut cookies to cook evenly.
Just a pinch of salt acts as flavour enhancer and elevates the taste of biscuits, do not add it if you use salted butter.
Resting the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes is an important step and absolutely necessary to solidify the fat content to prevent biscuits from spreading while baking. resting also helps the flour to fully absorb moisture resulting in better texture and a consistent bake.
Let the crunchy coconut cookies cool down to room temperature before you store them in an airtight container. These crunchy coconut cookies stay fresh for up to a week at room temperature
Depending on the quality of flour you may need a little bit extra or a little less milk. Do not add all of it at once, start with 1-2 tablespoon and then add more until the mixture comes together to form a thick dough.
The number of atta biscuits you yield depends on the size and thickness of the cookies.
Before you store in a freezer/airtight container, ensure cookies are cooled down completely to prevent condensation which makes cookies soggy.
Do not add salt if you use salted butter.
Ensure butter is softened to room temperature.
Cup measurements are approximate, I would suggest weighing the ingredients and following metric measurements for accuracy.
How to serve coconut biscuits?
Sweet biscuit is an ideal evening snack to enjoy with a cup of tea or rose milk tea.
More Kid Friendly Snack Recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Eggless Coconut Cookies
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- Before you get started, scroll up a little and watch a quick recipe video.
- Check the notes and tips at the bottom of the recipe for extra info and help.
- Line the baking tray with parchment or grease proof paper.
- In a bowl, sift wheat flour, baking powder. Add salt and mix well.200 gms (or) 1.5 cups (or) 1½ cups Wheat Flour, a pinch Salt, ½ Teaspoon Baking powder
- In a second large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.100 gms (or) ½ cup Sugar, 100 gms (or) ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- Add desiccated coconut, flour and continue to mix until crumbly.80 gms (or) 1 cup Desiccated Coconut, 200 gms (or) 1.5 cups (or) 1½ cups Wheat Flour
- Now add little milk and combine the mixture using hands into thick dough. Add 1-2 tablespoon milk at once when necessary while combining.¼ cup Milk
- Cover the dough container with cling film, pop the bowl in the fridge and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the bowl out of the fridge. Sprinkle flour on silicone baking mat or clean surface. Transfer the dough and cover it with parchment paper.
- Roll it gently with rolling pin.
- Cut into round or any desired shapes.
- Transfer the cookies to a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 170 C for 15 minutes until it turns light golden brown.
- Let crunchy coconut cookies cool down to room temperature on wire rack.
- Enjoy crispy coconut cookies and store the rest of them in an air tight container.
Tips and tricksIt is essential to use butter that is softened to room temperature. With softened butter, the fat can be easily creamed together with sugar and also helps butter coconut cookies to cook evenly. Salt acts as flavour enhancer and elevates the taste of biscuits, do not add it if you use salted butter. Resting the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes is an important step and absolutely necessary to solidify the fat content to prevent biscuits from spreading while baking. resting also helps the flour to fully absorb moisture resulting in better texture and a consistent bake. ** Nutritional information provided here are estimated and for guidance only. Please refer my Recipe Disclaimer for more details.
More snacks recipes:
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you try this crispy coconut biscuits recipe.
If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?