Basundi is an Indian dessert made by thickening full fat milk and flavouring it with saffron, cardamom with the addition of dry fruits. One of the popular desserts in western India. It can be served chilled or warm.
Traditionally it is prepared by boiling full fat milk on low heat for a long time until it reduces to less than half the quantity. The consistency is more fluid and flowing not thick like Rabri. Here is the quick and easy method using condensed milk where basundi will be ready in about 30 minutes.
Basundi is a perfect and scrumptious dessert to enjoy on any festivals like Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, Krishnastami, Dussera or even on any parties.
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tablespoon = 15ml
Full Fat Milk: 2 cups
Sweetened condensed milk: 1 cup
Cardamom powder: pinch
Almonds: 1 tsp, chopped/sliced
Cashews: 1 tsp, chopped/sliced
Pistachios: 1 tsp, chopped/sliced
In a deep bottomed pan add full fat milk.
Add condensed milk and bring the mixture to boil over medium heat stirring continuously.
Scrap the milk solids from the sides, cream formed on the top and add it back to basundi mixture.
Once the mixture starts to thicken add a pinch of saffron.
Now add a pinch of cardamom powder, sliced almonds, chopped cashew nuts and pistachios.
Stir and simmer for a minute and turn off the heat.
Enjoy basundi hot, warm or chilled topped with dry fruits.
Traditionally process is to boil whole milk for a long time until it thickens. But in this recipe, I have reduced cooking time by using condensed milk.
Basundi get thicker once it cools down.
Make sure to stir the mixture very frequently to prevent burning at the bottom of the pan.
Add any dry fruits of your choice.
Since we are using the condensed milk you may notice less milk solids compared to traditional process though this quick process tastes as delicious as basundi prepared traditionally.
Basundi with condensed milk
1 Cup = 250ml ; 1 tablespoon = 15ml
- 2 cups Milk full fat
- 1 cup Condensed Milk
- Pinch Cardamom Powder
- Pinch Saffron
- 1 teaspoon Almonds chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cashew nuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon Pistachios chopped
- In a deep bottomed pan add 2 cups full fat milk.
- Add 1 cup condensed milk.
- Bring the mixture to boil over medium heat stirring continuously.
- Scrap the milk solids from the sides, cream formed on the top and add it back to Basundi mixture.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken add a pinch of saffron.
- Now add a pinch of cardamom powder, sliced almonds, chopped cashew nuts and pistachios.
- Stir and simmer for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Enjoy Basundi hot, warm or chilled topped with dry fruits.
Save later for Pinterest
If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment, rate it, pin it for later or share it. It means a lot to me. Thanks!!