Banana seed chia pudding is a nutritious and satisfying breakfast dish consisting of milk, banana and chia seeds. This sweet dish is easy to prepare and ideal for hectic mornings. It is a gluten free and refined sugar free dish.
This chia seed pudding is extremely versatile in addition to being simple to whip up with minimal prep time. There are numerous ways to customise it, which helps keep breakfast interesting and filling.
Greek yogurt is used to infuse creamy texture and nutrients. Ripe bananas are essential as they serve as a natural sweetener, avoiding the need for extra sweeteners in the pudding.
The best part of this pudding recipe is it can be used for breakfast, dessert, or evening snack. It is a perfect dish to add to a weekly meal plan.
Unlike the typical thick gel-like consistency, I add a little extra liquid to get a pudding with a little thinner consistency. Reduce the milk a little to get a little thick consistency.
Why We Love This Pudding?
No cooking required
Just 5 minutes of prep is required in the morning and makes it an ideal option for busy days
Beginner friendly recipe
No added sugar
It can be tailored to suit an individual's taste and flavour choice.
- Chia Seeds: High quality black chia seeds. Ensure it is fresh and well within its expiry date.
- Milk: I used almond milk but feel free to use any milk of your choice.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt is used here to make the pudding creamy and protein-rich.
- Banana: Well ripe banana must be used as it acts as a sweetener as well.
- Toppings: I used almonds and hemp seeds. Check the variations and substitutions section for more options.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make banana chia seed pudding?
In a bowl or measuring jar, add yogurt, milk and stir well.
Now add chia seeds and stir well to combine ensuring that the chia seeds are evenly distributed.
Stir the mixture until chia seeds are well incorporated into the liquid.
Cover the bowl with a plate/plastic wrap or transfer the mixture to individual mason jars with lids. Place it in the fridge for an hour.
After an hour, uncover the bowl or jar and stir again thoroughly. Break any clumps and stir well.
Cover it, put it back in the fridge and let it set for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight. This allows the chia seeds to absorb the liquid and get a pudding-like consistency.
Next morning, peel and mash the ripe bananas in a bowl until smooth using a fork.
Scoop out the pudding into a bowl or glass.
Add mashed banana into glass, mix well until banana combines well with chia seed mixture.
Top it with fresh banana slices and a sprinkle of hemp seeds and almond toppings.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious banana pudding with chia seeds.
Substitutions and Variations
Mango: Incorporate diced mango for a tropical twist.
Protein: Swirl in peanut butter and top with crushed peanuts.
Chocolate: Add cocoa powder or chocolate chips to transform it into a decadent banana chocolate chia pudding.
Crunchy Granola Topping: Sprinkle your favourite granola on top for added crunch. Try almond vanilla granola from the blog.
Vegan: Replace dairy yogurt with coconut yogurt.
Milk: I used almond milk but you could use dairy milk or any other plant-based milk such as oat milk or coconut milk.
Banana chia seed pudding keeps good for 3-4 days in the fridge if stored properly in a tightly sealed container.
Tips and Tricks
Ripe Bananas: For maximum sweetness and taste, use ripe bananas. Ripe bananas' natural sugars will improve the pudding's flavour profile without needing extra sugar.
Banana Mashing: To get a smooth consistency, completely mash the bananas. By doing this, the pudding's banana flavour is sure to be distributed evenly.
Fresh Chia Seeds: To ensure the best texture, use good-quality black chia seeds. High-quality fresh chia seeds will absorb liquid better, giving a pudding-like consistency.
Consistent Mixing: Give the mixture a good stir while combining ingredients to avoid clumps and ensure a lump-free pudding in the end.
Stir After 1 Hour: An hour after mixing the ingredients, the pudding mixture must be stirred as the chia seeds get clumpy while they absorb the liquid. So, remember to stir to break up the clumps.
Setting Time: The pudding must be allowed to set for a minimum of four hours, but preferably overnight. This allows the liquid to be absorbed by the chia seeds, resulting in a creamy consistency.
Stir Before Serving: Before serving chia seed banana pudding, give the pudding a good stir to redistribute any settled chia seeds. This step ensures that each spoonful has a consistent texture.
Chia pudding doesn't freeze well due to the gel-like texture of the chia seeds. freezing alters the texture and taste of the pudding.
Store chia seeds in a dry and clean airtight container in a cool, dark place, such as a pantry or cupboard. Keep them away from moisture.
Moisture can cause the seeds to clump and may lead to mold growth. Ensure that the storage container is completely dry before adding the chia seeds.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you try this banana chia seed pudding recipe. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
📖 Recipe Card
Banana Chia Seed Pudding
- In a bowl or measuring jar, add yogurt, milk and stir well.⅔ Cup Almond Milk, ⅓ Cup Greek Yogurt
- Now add chia seeds, cardamom powder and stir well to combine ensuring that the chia seeds are evenly distributed.2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- Cover the bowl with a plate/plastic wrap or transfer the mixture to individual mason jars with lids. Place it in the fridge for an hour.
- After an hour, uncover the bowl or jar and stir again thoroughly. Break any clumps and stir well.
- Cover it, put it back in the fridge and let it set for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight. This allows the chia seeds to absorb the liquid and get a pudding-like consistency.
- Peel and mash the ripe bananas in a bowl until smooth using a fork.1 large Banana
- Add mashed banana into pudding bowl, mix well until banana combined well with chia seed mixture.
- Scoop out the pudding into bowls or glasses, top it with fresh banana slices and a sprinkle of nuts toppings.1 large Banana, 4 Almonds, ½ Teaspoon Hemp Seeds
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious banana pudding with chia seeds.
Looking for other no cook easy breakfast recipes like this? Try these:
More Breakfast Recipes
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more