A delicious, sweet treat, cranberry crisp is one of the easiest dessert recipes to make with fresh cranberries and a few more pantry staples. This sweet and tart cranberry filling covered with crispy oats and flour-based crisp topping is a perfect holiday dessert. The best part is these are individual servings.
Cranberry crisp is a great dessert to enjoy any time of year with a scoop of ice cream, either hot or at room temperature. This mini casserole dessert is an amazing summer dessert just like strawberry yogurt bark, mini apple turnovers, coconut custard, coconut milk pudding, mango pudding to have after a meal. It is a great mini dessert to serve at family gatherings or to enjoy during the holiday season.
- Top Layer: All purpose flour (plain flour), rolled oats, brown sugar, walnuts, butter and a pinch of salt.
- Fruit Base: Fresh and tart cranberries, brown sugar and nutmeg.
Find the quantities and a short video in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make cranberry crisp?
Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F).
Stir together fresh cranberries, ground nutmeg and brown sugar in a large bowl.
In a separate large mixing bowl, add the oats, flour, melted butter, walnuts, brown sugar and salt.
Now stir until the mixture is moistened.
Spoon out the prepared cranberry mixture and spread them on the base of the mini casseroles.
Now spread the oats crumble topping on top of the cranberry layer. Break the mixture with your fingers and spread evenly.
Put the mini casseroles in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until warm fruit starts bubbling and the top layer turns golden brown.
Take the mini casseroles out of the oven and put them on a cooling rack.
Allow them to cool down for 20 minutes.
Enjoy the cozy dessert cranberry crisp as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of it.
Check out apple strawberry crisp recipe on the blog.
Vegan: replace the butter with either vegan butter or coconut oil.
Nut-free: Just leave out the walnuts.
Gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free oats and replace the all-purpose flour with almond flour or oat flour.
Use any sweetener of your choice such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey instead of brown sugar. You can use regular white sugar if that's what you have on hand.
Add sweet apples, pears or other berries for a flavour variation.
Swap the cinnamon for nutmeg. A big pinch of these warm spices is enough to impart the flavour.
Pecans, almonds, hazelnuts could be used instead of walnuts. Or you could use a combination of nuts.
A dash of vanilla extract adds a lovely flavour.
Tips and Tricks
Ensure to bake just until the top layer starts turning golden brown.
While baking, the cranberries bubble up and might drip, so place the ramekins/casseroles in a tray to catch the drip or place aluminium foil under them.
Adjust sugar in the fruit filling based on the tartness of the cranberries.
Bake time varies depending on the type of oven you use and its settings.
Store the leftover fruit crisp in the refrigerator and use it up in 5 days. Let the crisp cool down to room temperature, cover the ramekins with cling wrap (mini casseroles with lid) and then store them in the refrigerator.
This fruit crisp stays good for up to 2 days at room temperature.
You could make it ahead of time for a party and store it in the fridge. Take them out of the fridge and reheat in the oven until piping hot and crisp. This saves your time on a party day.
Prep a big batch of oats mixture, divide it into portions, pack each portion in a zip lock bag or a freezer-friendly airtight container and store them in the freezer. Thaw a pack in the fridge overnight and then use it to make a fresh cranberry crisp.
Classic combination for cranberry crisp is a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
It is a simple dessert after a meal.
Best individual dessert to have at a family gathering and on special occasions.
It is a delicious dessert for kids to enjoy as after school snack.
Crisp is a perfect dessert to feed the crowd. Instead of individual serving ramekins or mini casseroles, use a big round or square baking pan. Fill the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the cranberry mixture and then top it with the oats mixture. Put it in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes at 190 C (375 F).
Use the right size baking dish depending on the size of the crowd. Do not fill to the brim, leave some space as the cranberries bubble up while baking. If necessary make crisp in batches but do not overfill the baking tray.
Follow the same steps to prepare oat crumble and fruit filling. Fill the casseroles or ramekins with prepared cranberry mixture and oat mixture. Cover each container with foil. Place them in the air fryer basket and put the basket back. Set the temperature to 190 C (375 F) and the time to 20 minutes.
Once the air fryer beeps, take the containers out, and place them on a wire rack to cool down a little. Remove the foil and enjoy the delicious cranberry dessert.
📖 Recipe Card
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
For Fruit Layer
- 250 gms (or) 2 cups Fresh Cranberries
- 88 gms (or) ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
For Top Layer
- 93 gms (or) 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 70 gms (or) ½ cup Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour)
- 88 gms (or) ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 74 gms (or) ⅓ cup Butter
- a pinch Salt
- 44 gms (or) ⅓ cup Walnuts
- Scroll up a little and check the tips and tricks for extra info and help.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F)
- Stir together fresh cranberries, nutmeg, and brown sugar in a bowl.250 gms (or) 2 cups Fresh Cranberries, ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, 88 gms (or) ½ cup Brown Sugar
- In a separate bowl, add the oats, flour, melted butter, walnuts, brown sugar and salt.93 gms (or) 1 cup Rolled Oats, 70 gms (or) ½ cup Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour), 74 gms (or) ⅓ cup Butter, a pinch Salt, 44 gms (or) ⅓ cup Walnuts, 88 gms (or) ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Now stir until the mixture is moistened.
- Spoon out the prepared cranberry mixture and spread them on the base of mini casseroles.
- Now spread the oats mixture on top of the cranberry layer. Break the mixture with your fingers and spread evenly.
- Put the mini casseroles in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until cranberries start bubbling and the top layer turns golden brown.
- Take the mini casseroles out of the oven and put them on a cooling rack.
- Allow them to cool down for 20 minutes.
- Enjoy delicious cranberry crisp as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of it.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this delicious dessert cranberry crisp. If you like this recipe kindly consider rating it using stars in the comment section or on the recipe card to help more people find this recipe online. You can stay up to date by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribing to my Youtube channel. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get simple recipes straight to your inbox?
Welcome to Flavours Treat. I share vegetarian recipes made with wholesome, mostly fresh ingredients. Every recipe has easy-to-follow instructions with process shots (detailed step-wise pictures), a short video and lots of tips to help your cooking journey. Read more