Instant Pot Dal Khichdi – a one-pot delicious meal made with lentils, rice and a few spices. One-pot lentils and rice dish is the easiest and comfort dish to make on weekdays and goes well with yogurt and pickle.
Khichdi also called khichri, khichadi, khichuri is the most preferred dish given to the person healing from illness as it is light on the stomach and easily digestible. Arguably one of the quick and easiest dishes that pops in mind when you are exhausted after a long day at work or on lazy days when you are craving for a simple and wholesome meal. It is also considered as an ideal first food to introduce to baby.
As always, you will find the full ingredients list with measurements and detailed recipe instructions in a separate recipe box underneath the text section. To bypass the text section choose “SCROLL TO RECIPE” or “PRINT RECIPE” or click the “SCROLL TO VIDEO” option to watch the full video of this recipe. All options are located at the beginning of the post.
Dal Khichdi Recipe Variations
You can either substitute red lentils and moong dal with toor dal (split pigeon peas), chana dal (split chickpea), split moong dal (small yellow lentils), or use the combination of all lentils. Ensure the total quantity remains 1 cup.
As chana dal and toor dal (split pigeon peas) take longer than other lentils to cook, soaking them in hot water for at least 20 minutes helps cook faster.
Alternatively, you may have to set a timer to 15 – 20 minutes if lentils are not soaked.
For the vegan version, replace ghee with oil.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free asafoetida or just do not add it.
Khichdi is considered as the best solid food to introduce for babies. Do not add salt, ginger and spices except turmeric and cumin if making for a baby.
To make it healthier add vegetables – carrot, beans, potato, peas, cabbage, turnip, kohlrabi. It is a great way to make kids eat vegetables without any fuss.
How to serve Khichdi?
Usually, this one pot rice and lentil dish is paired with pickle, papad (poppadum) and plain yogurt (curd) for a wholesome and complete meal.
The humble khichdi can be turned into a dish to feast on by serving it with a simple side dish along with pickle, yogurt. Side dishes such as Jeera aloo, aloo gobi, kohlrabi curry, potato fry goes well.
You can serve it with plain yogurt or a glass of mango lassi for kids just in case they feel it is spicy. Yogurt helps to ease the spiciness.
Rinse and wash lentils and rice with cold water 3-4 times. Soak them in sufficient water for 20 minutes.
Melt ghee in a deep bottomed pan over medium-low heat. Put the cumin and saute for few seconds.
Add ginger, asafoetida, onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until the onion starts browning.
Stir in tomato, turmeric, chilli powder, salt. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
Add water, increase flame slightly and bring it to rolling boil.
Drain the water from soaked rice and lentils and then add them to boiling water (reduce the flame and then add rice and lentils).
Mix until well combined and cook for 10-12 minutes or until water is completely absorbed and rice-lentils are cooked and soft.
Turn off the flame, add coriander and mix khichdi well.
Watch How to Make Instant Pot Dal Khichdi
If you enjoy watching my videos, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon, so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Rice and Lentils: I have used basmati rice here. Sona massori, ponni, brown rice or any short-grained rice works equally good. Water quantity may vary depending on rice variety. Toor dal, moong dal and masoor dal have been used in this recipe. You can either replace these lentils with chana dal, split moong dal or use the combination of different lentils.
Dry and Whole Spices: Cumin, red chillies, turmeric, chilli powder, asafoetida (hing) are the main spices required to make dal khichdi.
Vegetables: Onion, tomato, ginger and coriander. Feel free to use various vegetables to make it nutritious and healthy.
Liquids: I’ve used water to cook khichdi. Vegetable stock can be used as well. Ghee has been used to saute vegetables and spices. For a vegan option, you can substitute it with any cooking oil or vegan butter.
1 & 2. Rinse and wash lentils, rice and soak in water.
3 & 4. Plug in instant pot and turn Saute Mode ON
5. Melt ghee and saute cumin, asafoetida and ginger.
6. Saute onion and red chillies until onion turn soft and translucent.
7. Add tomato, salt, dry spices and saute until soft.
8. Turn saute mode OFF. Add drained rice, lentils and water.
9. Close the pot with lid. Set pressure cook mode with high pressure and timer 5 minutes.
10. Once timer goes off, NPR 10 minutes and then turn the knob to vent position. Wait until pin goes down to take the lid off the pot.
Add coriander and stir well.
Serve piping hot instant pot dal khichdi with any side of your choice.
You can use just one variety of lentil or combination of various lentils.
I’ve used basmati rice. Any rice varieties – sona masoori, ponni, long grain, brown rice works just fine. You may have to adjust water though.
Generally, khichdi must be of porridge consistency. But you can add more water to get thinner consistency and cut down water to get a thick consistency.
Adjust spices to suit your taste.
The cook time mentioned in a recipe card includes the time IP takes to come to pressure and start the timer.
Ensure to deglaze the pot before setting the timer to prevent the BURN message. Even a tiny bit of vegetable or spice stuck at the base of the pot results in a BURN message.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Dal Khichdi
1 cup =250ml ; 1 tbsp =15ml ; 1 tsp =5ml
- 1.5 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Dried Red Chillies each broken into 2 pieces
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup/ 99gms/ medium size Onion chopped
- 1/3 cup/ 78 gms/ medium size Tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder/Cayenne
- as required Salt
- 1/2 cup/ 121 gms Moong Dal/Small Yellow Lentils
- 1/2 cup/ 112 gms Masoor Dal/Red Lentils
- 3/4 cup/ 147 gms Basmati Rice
- handful Coriander chopped
- Rinse and wash lentils and rice with cold water for 3-4 times or until water runs clear.
- Soak them in warm water for 20 minutes, meantime prep the vegetables and gather all the required ingredients to start cooking.
- Plugin Instant Pot, turn sauté mode ON.
- Melt ghee and put cumin. Saute and let it sizzle for few seconds.
- Now add dried red chillies followed by asafoetida and ginger. Saute for few seconds.
- Add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until onion softens and start to turn brown.
- Now add tomato followed by salt, turmeric, chilli powder/cayenne. Saute for 5 minutes or until tomato softens. Add a splash of water onion-tomato mixture starts to dry out or sticks to base of the pot.
- Turn the saute mode OFF. Deglaze the pot and ensure the spices or vegetables are not stuck to the base of the pot to prevent BURN message.
- Discard the water from soaked lentils and rice, add it in the pot.
- Add water and stir well.
- Secure the pot with lid and turn the knob to SEALING position.
- Turn pressure cook mode ON, set timer to 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Once timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes. Then turn the knob to vent position and wait until the pin goes down.
- Take the lid off the pot, add coriander and mix well.
- Serve piping hot dal khichdi with pickle, yogurt or any side dish of your choice.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this simple yet delicious one-pot lentil and rice dish dal khichdi. I love to get feedback from readers.