Moong sprouts salad is a healthy, crunchy and nutritious salad loaded with all the goodness of veggies and sprouted green gram, tossed in a creamy yogurt and herb dressing.
Benefits of this healthy moong sprouts salad
Multi leaf lettuce is one of the very low-calorie green vegetable and a source of vitamins. Beetroot is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and packed with powerful antioxidants. Carrots are particularly a good source of beta carotene and fibre. Each veggie offer their own unique nutritional value to this salad.
We are maximising the micro nutrients that we consume by choosing the different coloured vegetables . It is important to diversify what we are eating to make sure we get all the necessary nutrients.
mung beans and its benefits
Green gram/ moong beans may be new to most people here in UK but they have been a part of traditional diets in India for thousands of years, it is mostly used in curries, salads and chaats. Now a days moong beans are used in protein powders, canned soups. They are a rich source of proteins, dietary fiber and anti oxidants. In general sprouting or germination of legumes, nuts and grains are considered to have more nutritional and medicinal qualities hence making them more absorbable and easier to digest. It is always better to consume sprouted moong beans as much as possible.
In this recipe I have used most of the coloured vegetables along with moong beans sprouts to make it more flavourful and get most nutrients. I have used a yogurt blended with mint and coriander mixture for dressing. Enjoy this low carb, healthy and nutritious vegetable and sprouts salad as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
How to make healthy moong sprouts salad with dressing
1 cup = 250ml ; 1 tbsp = 15ml
For the salad
Green Gram/Moong Beans: 1/2 cup
Multi leaf green lettuce: Handful
Multileaf Red lettuce: Handful
Carrot: 1 medium size /1 cup, grated
Beetroot: 1 medium size/1 cup, grated
Red bell pepper: 1/3 cup, chopped
Yellow bell pepper: 1 cup, chopped
Cucumber: 1 cup
Purple cabbage: 1 cup, chopped
Cherry Tomatoes: 8-10, cut into half each
For the dressing
Yogurt: 1 cup
Mint: handful / 1/2 cup
Coriander: 1/4 cup
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
Salt: as required
Black Peppercorns: 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice: 1/2 lemon
Olive oil: 1 tsp
Garlic: 3-4 cloves
Vinegar: 1/4 tsp
How to sprout/germinate moong beans
Rinse and wash green gram/moong beans in running water for 3-4 times or until water runs clear.
Now soak green gram in enough water in a container for 8-10 hours.
Drain the water, wash the soaked green beans again and transfer them to a damp cheese cloth, wrap and tie it.
Keep it away from direct sunlight or preferably dark place.
After around 6-8 hrs you can see moong beans starts to sprout/germinate, after around 5-6 more hours you can see the tails growing. Let it be in cheesecloth for further 6-8 hours or until you see the moong beans sprouts/tails are grown to around 1 inch. For longer sprouts keep moong beans in cheesecloth tied for one more day or until sprouts/tails reach desired length.
Yogurt and herb dressing
Blend mint, coriander, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to a smooth paste.
In a bowl, add yogurt, blended herb paste and mix until well combined.
To assemble salad
In a bowl, add all the veggies and moong bean sprouts and mix well.
Add the dressing and gently toss to coat the vegetables.
Enjoy the flavourful and crunchy moong sprouts salad.
The sprouted beans stay fresh in fridge for 1-2 days.
Do not add beetroot if you want your vegetable and sprouts salad to look brighter and colourful and not red-ishy , I particularly like beetroot in my salad and personally don’t give much importance to the look of the salad.
I would recommend grating carrot and beet, chop up veggies like bell peppers, cucumber, cabbage.
Sprouting process time depends on the the weather condition of the place you live, usually moong beans germinates faster in tropical weather conditions compared to places with cold weather.
Here in UK, as the temperature is dropping, it took bit more time for sprouting. Soaking and sprouting process time mentioned above might differ and it depends on the place you live.
You may use raw sprouted beans or even steam them and add in salad.
Adjust dressing as per your liking.
You may add any vegetables of your choice.
Prepare all the veggies and dressing beforehand so that you can assemble sprouts salad and toss it with dressing only when you are ready to serve the meal.
Use dressing at room temperature, it spreads further and coats the vegetables evenly.
The beans will expand as they soak in water so add enough water and give them plenty of space in the container.
Here I have used an age old traditional method used in India to grow beans sprout.
Rinse and drain the beans and put them back in cheesecloth if beans seems to be drying out. Completely dried beans will not sprout.
You may grow moong bean sprouts in jar as well, replace lid with cheese cloth or you can use sprouting jars that come with a mesh cap.
Vegetable and Green Gram Sprouts Salad
For the Salad
- 1/3 cup Green Gram/ Moong Beans
- Handful Multi leaf green lettuce
- Handful Multi leaf red lettuce
- 1 cup Carrot grated (1 medium size)
- 1 cup Beetroot grated (1 medium size)
- 1/3 cup Red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup Yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup Cucumber chopped
- 1 cup Purple cabbage chopped
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes cut into half each
For the Dressing
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt as required
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns
- Lemon Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Vinegar
How to sprout/germinate moong beans:
- Rinse and wash green gram/moong beans in running water for 3-4 times or until water runs clear.
- Now soak green gram in enough water in a container for 8-10 hours.
- Drain the water, wash the soaked green beans again and transfer them to a wet cheese cloth, wrap and tie it.
- Keep it away from direct sunlight or preferably dark place.
- After around 6 hrs you can see moong beans starts to sprout/germinate, after around 5-6 more hours you can see the sprouts growing. Wait until you see the moong beans sprouts are grown to around 1 inch. For longer sprouts you may keep it in cheesecloth tied for one more day or until sprouts reach the desired length.
How to make yogurt and herb dressing:
- Blend mint, coriander, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, add yogurt, blended herb paste and mix until well combined.
How to assemble salad:
- In a bowl, add all the veggies and moong bean sprouts and mix well.
- Add the dressing and gently toss to coat the vegetables.
- Enjoy the flavourful and crunchy sprouts salad.
Save later for Pinterest
If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment, rate it, pin it for later or share it. It means a lot to me. Thanks!!